carb throttle connection, just need to make sure.

GoldenMotor.com

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I got the engine on my bike today, with the exception of making the mistake of getting a Bell Chainbreaker from walmart and expecting it to work ( so I still need to shorten my chain lol )... everything except the clutch and chain are hooked up.... but the throttle connection is what had me confused.. I pulled out the needle and the barral out of the carb.. pushed the cable thru the spring and then latched it in the groove on the bottom of the needle/ barrel assembly and then put it togther... I guess it's ok, throttle doesn't have much movement and it doesn't return on it's own but it deffinetly moves like it should inside.. did I do it right? it's been a while since I took apart a motorcycle carb, when I did, I left everything connected.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Sounds like you might have the slide backwards. Make sure to line up the dimples in the carb to the grooves in the slide. If that's not it check your cable to make sure it's not binding somewhere. One way would be to unscrew it from the carb and see how the throttle responds.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
It's smooth, but it just doesn't return on it's own.. then again, the stock twist grip has no return spring.. and the grip doesn't twist much.. pictures looks like it's togther right tho

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
Sounds like you might have the slide backwards. Make sure to line up the dimples in the carb to the grooves in the slide. If that's not it check your cable to make sure it's not binding somewhere. One way would be to unscrew it from the carb and see how the throttle responds.
I used the indendtation for the idle screw to line up the slide.. throttle disconnected, everything works good.. when I unscrew the top off of the asselbly and pull the cable/ slide out, the slide tilts to the side because of the spring tension, could that be happening inside the carb causing any of the problems?

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
your cable might be binding dont tie the cables to the bike tight or tight angles.
these cheap throttles dont return all the way on there own,sometimes you have to twist them the other way to return to idle.

the throttles do twist a full half turn easy,if not its binding somewhere.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I used the indendtation for the idle screw to line up the slide.. throttle disconnected, everything works good.. when I unscrew the top off of the asselbly and pull the cable/ slide out, the slide tilts to the side because of the spring tension, could that be happening inside the carb causing any of the problems?

That's normal without something to guide it. With it off the carb does the throttle still not spring back? If you still have problems with it when it's unscrewed from the carb, it's likely a cable issue.

Edit: As mentioned by cabin, don't expect to much spring back from these. I have had some success by adding a little oil inside the cable housing.

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
the cable is not tied up yet... it might be 1/2 turn but I'm not sure.. I think I'll take the top off of the throttle control thing, and see just how much it's pulling..

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
That's normal without something to guide it. With it off the carb does the throttle still not spring back? If you still have problems with it when it's unscrewed from the carb, it's likely a cable issue.
does the same thing... I didn't use any oil in the cable housing, but it still seems smooth when it's off, just no return.. what kind of oil should the housing get?

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
I used Singer machine oil, but anything similar would work fine. Got it at walmart in the sewing section for about $2. Go over your cable and make sure it's not bent or binding up somewhere. If you turn the throttle "or pull the wire" while holding the cable you can often feel if it is bent or rubbing.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
take off your air cleaner and turn throttle and look inside carb and see if slide goes up and down.oiling your slide in carb also helps sometimes it sticks in the carb too.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
If there's nothing wrong with your cable, the only thing left would be your spring on the throttle "inside the carb" you could try stretching that out a little. I do say a little if you do to much you'll ruin the spring.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I got it fixed... took the air cleaner off and noticed it was almost WOT with the handle all the way in.. took the handle apart and noticed I had hooked the cable up wrong and it took up too much cable inside.. fixed it and it's perfect