Sprocket mounting

GoldenMotor.com

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
I'm using the pedal crank as a jackshaft on my current motorized bike project. I need to mount a 50 tooth sprocket on the left side of the crank, opposite of where the usual sprockets are. How would I go about doing this. I don't have access to a welder, and my budget is very small :)

.scrag.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Are you sure about 50 teeth? That's a huge ring to have in the middle. What have you got planned for a complete driveline?

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
Are you sure about 50 teeth? That's a huge ring to have in the middle. What have you got planned for a complete driveline?
Well no, I'm not sure. I posted a thread asking about how many teeth to use. This is the drivetrain:

12 teeth on the clutch
(Trying to figure out how many) teeth on the left side of the pedal crank (jackshaft in)
Bike 3 gears (jackshaft out; right side of cranks)
Back freewheel

The bike gears are the same as on any standard bike. What size gear do you think I should have on the jackshaft in (left side of cranks)?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm using the pedal crank as a jackshaft on my current motorized bike project. I need to mount a 50 tooth sprocket on the left side of the crank, opposite of where the usual sprockets are. How would I go about doing this. I don't have access to a welder, and my budget is very small :)

.scrag.
Once you get your pedal arms cut off just measure your crank shaft diameter, you should be able to find a sprocket that will slip on and set-screw to it.

If you don't have a welder how do you plan to mount some foot pegs?

Last edited:

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
Once you get your pedal arms cut off just measure your crank shaft diameter, you should be able to find a sprocket that will slip on and set-screw to it.

If you don't have a welder how do you plan to mount some foot pegs?
Thank you for the suggestion! I am using bmx pegs on the back axle