2-Stroke Drive Sprocket Cover Screw / Emergency Replacement Suggestion

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hey all,

Over the weekend, I was a LONG way from home, and it was very late (actually, EARLY...in the morning). While motoring home, I came to a stop-sign, disengaged my clutch, and coasted to a stop. My engine died due to the clutch remaining engaged. I was quite surprised, but soon found the problem. TWO of my drive-sprocket cover screws were missing...the short ones. Well, I WAS missing one of them from a few days earlier, and I never got around to replacing it. In the meantime, the second one worked its way out, and I was left with a loose clutch-lever that would not tighten up no matter how tightly I screwed in the remaining long-screw. I was very dismayed since I could not think of a way to re-start the engine without popping the clutch. I had actually considered a running-jump technique (prop the bike on its stand, take 10-paces backwards, and run at it from the rear). Well, I carry a small kit of tools, and extra parts, but not these particular screws. So, I WAS screwed...and about 20-miles from my bed no less. Well, out of desperation, I took the adjustment-screw off of the vice-grip I have in my kit, and was pleasantly surprised to find it fit PERFECTLY into the small-screw hole on the cover; I was back in service. Thought it might be helpful to others in a pinch.

:-|| dance1

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I hate to breakdown and not have what it takes to do the repair, that's why I carry a small bag of small parts and screws including a clutch cable.