Skyhawk carb help,help,help

GoldenMotor.com

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
Hey guys,I just bought a skyhawk cns high performance carb II for my china girl.My problem is i dont know if i could use the same stock throttle cable for it or if i could cut some of the wire housing?If not where would i be able to buy the cable and do i also need to use a choke lever withe it or is it optional?please help it runs like crap right now.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Most cns2 Carbs come with both cables mounted to them, I have used my cable on the cns2 and the nt with no problems. My cable adjusts enough to use it on either. You at least need the choke enrichment plunged and spring in place to seal of the choke jet. Since the cns does not restrict air it increases fuel to the engine when the choke is applied.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
yeah i just bought the cns2 and no cables for it stupid me.Do you kno where i can buy the cables by itself?also when you buy the carb it the choke on or off?because i used my old stock cable and removed some of the housing but when i throttle it it goes then starts to studer i let go and it goes alittle faster but i have to keep doing that to go.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I think I have a choke cable from a cns in my shop, I'll look tomorrow at the end. I think it may be the size of the old 10 speed shifter cable end.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Looking at the plunger and spring you should be ok if it starts fairly easy. I suggest taking the plunged out and taking it to a bike shop and see if you can find a cable if it is hard to start. The picture below may help.

Attachments

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
I took out the plunge n spring it starts up good.I took it to a moped shop but the only cable they had that looked like it would fit was another throttle cable.I wasnt to sure to get it.Do you think a bike shop would have the lever that goes on the handle bars?If not could i use a mountain bike gear changer lever?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The old style ten speed shift lever is what it looks like, if you can find a cable fairly close you can file the ball end down to make it fit in the plunger. I have bought cable assortments at walmart that had a cable with a small ball end that should be easy to adapt.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
So i went to the bike shop today and found everything i needed for the choke line cable,lever,housing.I put it on and now it turns on and bogs out i tried fooling around with the air n fuel ratio mix on side of carb but no luck.How do you adjust these things i must of tried for a hour n a half.It looks like gas was leaking out if the exhaust is that a bad thing or is it just flooded.If so how do i fix that problem.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The spring on top of the plunger keeps the plunger sealed to prevent flooding. You may have the cable to tight, loosen the cable at the lever and let the spring seat the plunger then tighten the lock screw. You will have a little looseness in the cable but that's ok, there is plenty of movement in the lever control th open the choke enough to start when cold.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
I shall try tommorrow when i get out of work.I say you on another thread saying something about drill the jets world i have to do that?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The cns has three adjustment ranges, the two screws control idle only. The screw on the side is idle speed the one closest to the air filter is idle air mixture. The e -clip location on the needle controls mid throttle fuel flow, then the main jet size controls wide open. Start with idle getting it to run good, most of these idle better a little higher than normal for a motorcycle. I had to remove the small hose that goes from the vent to the air filter, mine was drawing fuel from the bowl causing it to bog. I run a weed eater fuel filter on mine to let it vent and keep debris out. I have a few pictures in my albums that show some of the ways to resolve the vent tube problem. Use a auto door panel barb to seal the hole in the air filter base to keep debris out, the barb will have to be cut off a bit.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I shall try tommorrow when i get out of work.I say you on another thread saying something about drill the jets world i have to do that?
If you don't inderstand jetting, you should not be modifying your jets. Stick with learning until you have a handle on things. Learning BEFORE tearing into your carb will be much less expensive in the long run.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
Thanxz for the help guys.I went to a moped shop today and got a better throttle cable its works perfect.As for the choke cable i did like you said and gave it alittle more slack it no longer bogs out.Now i cant wait for the races june 1st..shft.