chains from bike kits are junk

GoldenMotor.com

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
as bbb said you can use a chain braker and get rid of the master link but that said its not a bad idea to get a 41 chain I myself still have a 415 chain I ran with out a link at first but the 415 chain pins keep comeing lose on me so my advice is 2 things 1 get a 41 chain like josh said then 2 use a chainbraker and put it together with out the link.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
IMO kit chain IS junk, it binds, turns red, rusts, and generally is clunky crap. It's worth replacing IMO, then you will have a better time. KMC BMX 415H chain is supposed to be very strong and it sells for cheaper than motorcycle 415h chain.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sure the master link is breaking or is the clip coming off? If the clip is installed correctly, that being with the open end facing the rear of the bike as the chain enters the engine drive sprocket, there's less chance of it hitting anything and snapping the clip off. If the open end faces forward it can snag the inside of the clutch actuator cover and it will pop off allowing the link to seperate. This can/will happen on any chain no matter where it was made.

Tom

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
you can tack the clip on to the master link, you will just have to cut the chain if you want to take it apart. You are gonna want to get some new chain from tractor supply, you can also get a half link there and use that if you don't have a welder