Muffler Baffle Saved by Manufacturer Defect - 66cc China Girl Motor

GoldenMotor.com

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
After another very satisfying afternoon of riding I noticed the end of the
muffler was a bit dirty so as I wiped it off I noticed it was loose.
The nut had completely come loose. The interesting part about this is
that when I got the kit (direct from the Chinese factory to where I live
in Taiwan), I noticed that there was a small blob of "welding" at the end
of the threads of the muffler baffle nut. I thought, well, I can grind
that off later when I need to disassemble the muffler.

That nut was the only nut/screw on the engine that I had not checked
after each long ride, and had there not been that slight defect (which I
initially had cursed at), then certainly I would have had the marvelous
experience of the baffle falling and noisily bouncing off the road
while riding.

I'll leave it to the reader to imagine the moral of the story.

=)

Russ

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
Re: Muffler Baffle Saved by Manufacturer Defect - 66cc China Girl

Moral of the story: If you are a Chinese manufacturer, weld sloppily. It might just save someone a big headache down the road. ;)

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Hah!
My brother wound up on a search mission on a long stretch of a busy road tracking down his muffler guts last summer.
Unfortunately he did not have a metal blob defect.

He wound up muffler clamping a soup can packed with metal pot scrubbing pads (brillo type) on the end of his muffler body.

Weird how a blob of metal saved you from losing it.

It being YOU or your TEMPER. :)

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Yeah, seems those end-caps love to come loose.. I've had it happen more than once too, fortunately found the end-cap both times it physically separated from the muffler (really lucky the first time, the high volume of truck traffic in the area should have pancaked it).
I've tried double nutting it, lock-tite as well... eventually the threaded 'stem' they tacked on that the cap is held by sheared off. I drilled on each side at the end of the muffler tube where it overlaps the cap and screwed the cap on that way (with lock-tite on the screws) last time and it seems to be keeping things together. I plugged the now 'extra' hole in the cap from the threaded rod with a nut and bolt.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

i had my muffler guts fall out and pop my back tube, then to spite me it rolled into a storm drain. now i just weld the cap on. if you dont have a welder you could just drill two holes on the side and pop rivet the cap on

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

no defect saved my skin, but my first kit exhaust had no baffling in it at all...was straight pipe with an end cap essentially and only found that out by running the motor the first time and the end cap blowing off because it was just wedged in there...use a tomato paste can to make my own baffles...was wondering why it was so loud and then even louder...kinda funny these things

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl

i actually enjoy the stock pipe with no cap or baffle. i rode with my cap off and the baffle fell out and i loved the noise so much i left it. and believe it or no i never had a drop of 2 stroke oil on the ground when i parked it ever. believe it or not the straight pipe had enough sonic waves go back up to push the incoming mixture back into the combustion chamber. so it worked as a tuned expansion chamber would but witht he added awesomness. gl wit yours. ps when cars cant see you, bad things happen. when they cant see you and can hear you they 2nd check and damn sure notice someone on a moped. yes it works.