Front leaf spring, Girder or Truss Rod Fork

GoldenMotor.com

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Hey all, I am a newbie, hate saying that as I've been buying, selling, building and trading bicycles, Whizzers and moved to custom built harley's for 38 years. Bored with all that and am now getting into the Tribute board track bikes. With all the talented builders out there, is anyone making a reasonalby priced leaf spring front fork or a good heavy duty truss rod front end. I have a frame and tank order from Rick Gilmore that will be here in a couple of weeks. I will be at the V-Twin expo in Cincy on Saturday - I am still a dealer with all the major distributors - wholesale is great - Will get some good pictures and see what's there we might can use in our hobby and pass on info to anyone interested. Would also be willing to order stuff to help fellow builders. I am also finishing up a 36 Ford Panel resto mod to haul my tribute bike to shows in Pigeon Forge and around my area. We try to hit a show every month around Southern and central Kentucky as well as the biggies in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Somebody step up and help us out with a good front fork assembly. Thanks John Young London, Kentucky

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Sounds great - just one problem, I've never seen a snowmobile in Southeast Kentucky. Anyone got some plans on building a leaf spring front fork using a small trailer spring? Help me out here guys - I'll repay the favor somehow.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got me thinking, cut a small trailer leaf in half?

Dunno but kinda like that idea. Already mass produced (so cheap) and can get 2 for the price of one.

Dunno. Just typing out loud.

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
This is what it's all about - helping each other. Found a 20" triple leaf spring on the I net at a trailer supply store for $26.65. Cut it in half and you got $13.30 in two of them. I think 10" would be enough but if not they have them in 22" and up for cheap. Now what front fork can we adapt it to and who has some simple plans?

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
In a nutshell...

Use a fork with a somewhat flat bottomed yoke.

-Kirk

ps- Plan carefully so you don’t have issues with your trail, you may need to place the wheel on front of the of the rockers (like Harley’s)

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I gotta go with my buddy Dan of Taylar Motor Bikes if it doesn't go the way you want, you can check a couple of picks on a thread Velo started "Taylar builds Victorville Ca"

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
Cincinnati,Ohio
.shft.Hey John, Where abouts is this V-Twin Expo in Cincinnati ? I live just north of the city in a suburb 10-15 mins away. The weather is forcasted to drop in the teens!! But as of right now its rainy & a mere 45 degrees. I'm guessing at the convention center downtown? or possibly at the Sharonville Convention center on Chester Rd? Please tell!!

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
V-Twin expo is a dealer only show put on once a year at the expo center downtown. Can't even get in the door without your neck tag. Wish I had known and I could have gotten you a pass. Does anyone know what Dan at Taylor gets for one of his forks. I believe I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard from them. Guess they are covered up.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
We’ve slid into two philosophies that exist on the forum, those who do it themselves and those who buy from others.

What ever the motives, both approaches have merit.

As Chainmaker hinted there is a lot of valuable information to be found on either online, and much can also be found right here in pervious threads.

A quick search for “Springer Forks” and "Leaf spring forks" (in case my links don’t work) yielded 499 post’s each.

-Kirk

Last edited:

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Mr. B. I am sorry I seemed to have opened a can of worms. Newbie mistake. I just want to get all the parts together to start my first biuld in this great hobby. There are some things I can do and some I can't, I will be first to admit that. Now with the help of friendly folks here on the forum I now know I can make my own leaf spring front fork. I emails some of the guys listed in this thread weeks ago and asked about price - never heard from any of them. Lets all pull together and help each other. Thanks all - John

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Dan ( Taylar Cycles ) told me the other day he does'nt build the forks for bicycle conversions anymore. Just for his frames. Mine are made from a scrapped out golf cart spring cut in half. Im off to bed now: Just got home from work and do another 12hr night shift tomarrow but Friday I'll take some up close detailed pics of how it was done. I cant seem to find any in my saved pics on this infernal machine.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Please don’t take me wrong,

Some don’t have the skills, tools, or time and some don’t have the money (Ha! Me!)

I’m just trying to be helpful, but don’t recall the actual threads where leafers have been discussed before- Surely someone else here does...

At any rate it may still be helpful to look at the previous threads just to see what's been done before and what options are out there...

-Kirk

ps: I cut down springs from a Model T Ford for my build...

Single leafs or incomplete sets are very common & inexpensive on Ebay.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I don't think any can of worms was opened , at all. Dan makes awesome stuff just look at it..enough said, you get what you pay for- premium work= premium wages. And I also got the same from Dan about the forks that he makes them mainly for his frames only , but a custom set would be such a price. Just supplying info that was asked. I absolutely meant no bad intent. I agree we are all here to help each other.
I knew after I hit post there was a possibility of it being misunderstood.

Last edited:

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi John....I can understand why people wouldn't sell these type of forks...there would great concern for legal problems if they were not assembled or installed properly...or accidents from poor installation...There is a leaf spring fork set for a Harley from "KIWI INDIAN" they are $2300.00..This is a company which would have a have a manufacturing insurance to cover things like this...the actual components would be less than $250.00..and the rest for design.. production.. profit..insurance.....I know this as I have made a set for my project.. There is a lot of work to make these to an acceptable engineered safe specification....Search Goggle for leaf spring fork plans...."chopper builders handbook" has a excellent set of plans....search other sites and they are available for free..these could be scaled down for a bicycle application.....DD

Attachments