Aussie Enginuity

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while, I've been a lot more busy as a first time parent (and now partner is now 6 months pregnant with another) then I could ever have imagined.

Building bikes has screeched to a halt but doesn't stop me building bikes in my head over and over, so I'm still doing research and trying to get inspiration for future builds.

I came across this site, and while it doesn't have any motorized bikes as such, I know you guys would get as much of a kick as I did. Mark Walker Concept Motorcycles is a business run out of Australia.i was particularly impressed by "The Saltster", not because its the nicest looking bike I've ever seen, but I was impressed by his innovative style of building.

I don't know how to post a link on my phone but the website is "MWV2.com"....... ENJOY!!!!!!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cool hey? Yeah they are Australian made Victa 160cc engines, I have 2 of them as well as around 10 of the older, and IMO far more vintage looking, Victa 125cc engines. I love those little engines as much as the Villiers.

Whozawhat

Jan 15, 2012
Canada
Wow Harry thanks for pointing this site out. It's outta sight.

yuk yuk, ya see what I did there. snicker.

But seriously that is some cool creative work right there.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn

This is a pretty awesome one too! One should never doubt the skills of enginuidive peoples when they have large ammounts of raw materials.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Enjoy the kids while they are little, Harry. The fun tapers dramatically when you have to teach them to drive.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Cool hey? Yeah they are Australian made Victa 160cc engines, I have 2 of them as well as around 10 of the older, and IMO far more vintage looking, Victa 125cc engines. I love those little engines as much as the Villiers.
Well, that’s a 320cc twin for you, or if you wanna make a Henderson/Ace tribute perhaps a 500cc 4 banger...

All joking aside I think that really is a neat concept I’d love to try, unfortunately most of the vintage engines found here are cast with the cylinder and case together.

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Youre reading my mind Mr B, I have thought of using 4 engines in a row for a Henderson style build, turning the barrell 90 degrees if possible, so the four exhaust would come out one side and the carbs out the other side. To get the engines closer together I'd like to eliminate the flywheel and either use electronic ignition triggered off the crank rotor or finding suitable chain driven magnetos.

I also considered building a faux V-Twin (I don't have the money or ability to build a v-twin bottom end), turning one of the barrels back to front and remove the flywheels and run magnetos (to get engines very close together), I have a 3 speed Albion box I could mount in a drop loop frame (below motors where crankcase would be), or just running two pulleys on the engines and a pulley on the jackshaft with a hand tensioner like my Villiers bike.

I have lots more ideas then I have time to make them, but I'm sure we all have that problem don't we? :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Enjoy the kids while they are little, Harry. The fun tapers dramatically when you have to teach them to drive.
Thanks for the advice Wheelbender, I am loving being a father but I can't lie, I do miss my time in the garage, time will come I guess, I just need to be patient, not my strongest suit :)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A little news from Down Under, last week the East Coast of Australia was having temperatures as high as 50 degrees celcius (40 degrees average) which led to massive bush fires. Now, a week later most of the entire East coast of Australia is now being flooded. My yard is under water and two big trees were knocked down....... I haven't heard from Daredevil for a while, I shore hope him and his beautiful bike are alright

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I saw about that on the news. In one place there were about 100 people unaccounted for. Do we know if they were safe at the end of it?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you were referring to the bushfires in Tasmania I'm fairly certain most, if not all of those people were accounted for. I don't think many people have died in the heatwave/bushfires/floods/tornados but it has caused a lot of damage...... If you believe the forecasts this will be happening a lot more in the future.....SCARY!!!

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Harry....I'm away...wont be back for about another week....hope you are having not to much flooding where you are...looks really bad further up the coast...DD

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Harry I'm 4 hrs. away from completion( according to Dan) just waiting on him to make the neccessary mods to the exaust & intake then dial everything in, since Dan is busy and broke his argon gas regulator I just have to be patient,I won't let just anyone do the welding.
I have a bad habbit, when I do something I just don't do it right I do it better then right, something I do with everything I don't know if there is a clinical term for it. (LOL!)
You guys are getting Hammered!! over there stay safe! 2 yrs. ago we had fires litterally burn to our door steps,when we were told to evacuate it was a difficult thing to do,we had the 747's dropping phostek (a chemical fire retardent) on the surroundig housing communty so everything was orange for a good long time, then a few months later relentless rain led to flooding wich led our part of the city to totally rebuild the streets they just finished Dec 28th

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well Harry at 53 yrs old my Wife and I just recieved word that our 30th grand child was born this morning at 6:40 am a boy at 6 lbs 9 oz Healthy 10 toes and 10 fingers Yada,Yada,Yada,, I have 7 children my wife has 5 so now you see why we have so many granchildren, they gave the boy a really weird name Nairb (Brian spelled backwards) makes me wonder what they were smoking so I'll just call him Thirty.
Send us a pic of your little joy and I'll try to post one of my new rider (might take a while,150 miles away)

Last edited: