Carbs: How Close is Too Close (to cylinder)?

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Howdy,

I recently installed an X80 which came with a really well made though reAlly short intake-plenum. My NT Speed carb fits it quite snugly, although it is now very close to the cylinder. The engine runs great, but the carb is noticeably warm/hot. I know that closer is better for carb-to-engine flow, but should I be concerned that the carmay get TOO hot?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Thanks Kat!

My billet's not as fancy (with that O-ring), but it's the same size. Breaking in a new X80 tonight, and after about 30-miles, the carby seems OK. I figgerd that the heat would make the fuel more volite and in turn affect atomization. Maybe it does, positively.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there were some early 50cc china motors where the carb bolted right to the jug without a manifold.

i've got motors where i've built manifolds that are as short as possible, like an inch long. never had any problems.

i think, the shorter the better.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hey all,

Just a follow-up: average engine temperature has decreased after break-in, and even at its highest operating temps, the carb performed like a champ. I experienced no ill effects due to the carb heating up.

Thanks all for your input.