Felt Fat Tire Ale build 99cc predator

GoldenMotor.com

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
Hello everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of months soaking up all the knowledge you folks have to offer. There is a wealth of great info around here and I really appreciate everyone that shares their builds.

Here is my build, its a new Felt Fat Tire Ale giveaway bike. I picked this up to use as a commuter back and forth to college roughly 12 miles each way. The bike at this point was all stock and new, the only change was a pair of old schwinn handle bars since I didn't like the really tall felt cruiser bars.

As you can see the bike is just a basic cruiser with a custom pain job and large rear basket. I started out by making a plan, I already had a 99cc predator friction drive on my Giant full suspension bike and liked the power just not the terrible center of gravity. The natural choice was to run the 99cc predator so I started making a mount out of some 3/16" steel I had laying around ( a little heavy probably but it won't have any issues down the road).

After an hour or so I had the engine where I wanted it in the frame and went ahead and made the exhaust out of 3/4" conduit using a conduit bender. The rear tanks are roughly 1/2 galling each and made from aluminum, I picked them up at the local scrap yard for $1 each. I'm thinking of making them my fuel tanks.

Next up was the jackshaft. I will be running V belts on this bike instead of chain so I mocked up a couple pulleys to see where I wanted it (using a whizzer rear sheave) and picked up a wheel hub from the local circle track race shop for the shaft to ride in. The bracket is made from 3/16" steel and gusseted to prevent flex.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson

I went ahead and removed the rear basket to see how it looked and I think I like it much better but I will make the final decision later. I also removed the engine tins and like the look much better but not sure on how good it is for the engine. What are your thoughts? Should I put the tins back on? Do you think it will overheat here in the Texas sun during the summer? Again the bike will be used for cruising back and forth to college.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
You can see how slim the engine is now with no tins on it (picture it with the pull start cylinder removed also).

Thats where I am at on it as of today, I've only got a few hours into it so far and plan to be done with it soon.

Still to do.
Make 45* intake
make tensioner/shifter ( I plan to experiment with a variable pitch pulley later for more ratios for now it will use a manual clutch)
Make fuel system
Change handle bars again (maybe something straighter)
Have sturmey archer 90mm dynamo/drum brake laced into front wheel
Install new Felt Abraham front springer fork (when it gets here wednesday 1/9/13)
Install Whizzer rear sheave after it gets back from powder coaters (going to be satin black).

Let me know what you guys think, I'm also very interested to hear any comments or suggestions on anything that should be changed or added. I'm very mechanically inclined but very new to bikes and small engines.

Thanks for looking
Randy

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
im supprised the felt 24inch thick bricks didnt come with that bike being that its a fat tire ale bike

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
nice build,,,
I like the dual fuel tank idea, and the exhaust :)
I wish I could give advice on the tins
(I live in AZ and am too paranoid to try, temps are 120 often in summer) ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very nice bike but be careful riding in Texas. With that size motor your bike could easily be considered an unregistered moped. Be sure and pedal away from all stops. It will be harder to get a conviction if no cop ever sees you ride off under power without pedaling.

The only difference between a motor bicycle, and a moped in Texas is if it's self propelled or not.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Very nice bike but be careful riding in Texas. With that size motor your bike could easily be considered an unregistered moped. Be sure and pedal away from all stops. It will be harder to get a conviction if no cop ever sees you ride off under power without pedaling.

The only difference between a motor bicycle, and a moped in Texas is if it's self propelled or not.
And one more thing, lets ride some time. :ride2:

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
And one more thing, lets ride some time. :ride2:
I've noticed there are quite a few MABers in the Dallas area. It would be nice to get together sometime even if just to meet. It will be awhile before mine is ready, but would like to meet others with the same interest.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've noticed there are quite a few MABers in the Dallas area. It would be nice to get together sometime even if just to meet. It will be awhile before mine is ready, but would like to meet others with the same interest.
Yeah there is getting to be more and more of us. We had a ride around White Rock Lake the year before last. Four people showed up. I bet we'll have twice as many next time.

carcrafter22

Nov 16, 2012
Burleson
That sounds like a good idea guys. When it warms up a bit and I get the bike finished I'd enjoy meeting up.

I didn't get much done today but started on the fuel tank, it holds 1.2 gallons of fuel. It sounded like a lot when I noticed that most don't even have 1 gallon of fuel capacity but I think it looks pretty good on there, not too big at all.

The tank is made from a small dual tank Dewalt air compressor I found at the local scrap yard, the engine was blown but the tanks were in great shape. Not too bad for about $1 HAHA

Last edited: