New Cranbrook Build...

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If it has a keyed shaft, you should be able to put the clutch on the shaft. I dont know the outside thread pitch of the engine I'm using, or the length of the shaft, I just know its long enough to put a clutch on. As far as speed is concerned, just remember this. It doesnt matter much what engine you use, speed is determined by gearing. an engine that is geared too high can actually end up having a lower speed, but an engine that is geared low enough will operate at a decent cruising speed, and depending on what engine it is, will have a decent amount of torque as well, especially if its a 4 stroke. you can take a 79cc or 99cc engine and gear it for about 30-32 mph if you wish, and it should clim hills pretty good. I'm gearing my engine for 31mph @ 5000 rpm, which is probably its safe limit. if you are only going 30mph and pedaling away from stops, the cops shouldnt bother you too much.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for that info Biknut. If I understand correctly, a bicycle with a motor isn't considered a motor vehicle if it can't start moving without pedal assistance, and that no liability insurance would be required in that case.

I have no intension of riding a bicycle 45 mph. I'm looking to putt around at 25-30 tops even if it could go 45. I'll make sure to pedal from any standing stop just in case I'm being watched.

Any other input from you will surely be appreciated as I know you went through a bunch of mumbo jumbo in this regard. Are there any organized groups of motorized bicycle riders in the area? It would be fun to get together with others of the same interest.

Thanks again,
Yes, I think you understand the situation correctly now.

So far, I've never heard of one single person in Texas riding around on a MB with a motor bigger than a 66cc china girl. That doesn't mean someone isn't doing it, but so far they haven't spoken up about it if they are. Personally I would afraid to ride a MB with a 100cc motor in it. We're kind of stretching it as it is with a china girl 80 motor, even though they're only 66cc.

My first motorcycle was a Honda 90, and I had to have a license to ride it on the street.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Ok, I've looked into doing a HF 99cc OHV, HF 98cc Flathead, etc. to do a scratch build, but I think I'm going to stick with a kit for my first build. I don't want to go through all the headaches right now of trying to assemble all the right parts to get this going. I still have my car that needs to be finished and need to devote the majority of my time to it. Plus I would like to remain as near legal as possible as Biknut pointed out. With that said, I would like some suggestions on who to buy a chinagirl kit as well as a 4 stroke kit from. PM's will be fine if you would rather not mention it here, I understand. I am having a hard time thinking of doing business with companies that I have contacted, but receive no reply back. These are companies that are mentioned often in posts I read on these forums.

Anyway, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Re: New Cranbrook/LaJolla Build...

Here's the vendor I've used the last four times. He sent me a new coil no questions asked when I received a bad one in a kit. I've had nothing but good experiences with these guys...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180880332173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
He has free shipping too!
I've ordered this engine kit, but will use it on my new Kent LaJolla instead of the Cranbrook. I'm still trying to decide on how I will go with the Cranbrook, 2-stroke or 4-stroke kit. Depending on how the chinagirl goes, I may go with another of those.

I will document the build as much as I can for other newbies like myself. Hopefully, it will be of use to someone.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You keep making informed decisions and you are going to have a lot of fun with these little beauties...*zooms off at high-speed*

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I've ordered this engine kit, but will use it on my new Kent LaJolla instead of the Cranbrook. I'm still trying to decide on how I will go with the Cranbrook, 2-stroke or 4-stroke kit. Depending on how the chinagirl goes, I may go with another of those.

I will document the build as much as I can for other newbies like myself. Hopefully, it will be of use to someone.
I'll be interested to find out how you like that motor. I don't know anything about it, but I've seen them around for a while.

A LaJolla is a tight frame to stuff a motor in. People have done it before, but I haven't seen one yet where the carb fit without an offset manifold. The motor always ends up pretty high in the frame. Good luck with your build.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX

I'll be interested to find out how you like that motor. I don't know anything about it, but I've seen them around for a while.

A LaJolla is a tight frame to stuff a motor in. People have done it before, but I haven't seen one yet where the carb fit without an offset manifold. The motor always ends up pretty high in the frame. Good luck with your build.
I know it will be a challenging build, but I'm game for it. I have seen a couple of nice looking results, but you are probably right about the offset intake. From what I've seen, the engine sits about center in the frame. Once I get it, if it doesn't look like it will be a good fit, I'll try something else.

I was also thinking about electric for the LaJolla if I can't get the chinagirl to work with it. I would then commit the chinagirl to the Cranbrook with the thought of a 4 stroke for another build down the road.

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
The new La Jolla bike is not that hard of a build. I have built about 5 of them so far. You only have to use the offset intake. Everything else falls right into place. You won`t have any problems with the build. They also make for a real good riding bike! The only other thing I would suggest is using a setback for your seat. It just seems to be a better ride with the seat scooted back a tad.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
The new La Jolla bike is not that hard of a build. I have built about 5 of them so far. You only have to use the offset intake. Everything else falls right into place. You won`t have any problems with the build. They also make for a real good riding bike! The only other thing I would suggest is using a setback for your seat. It just seems to be a better ride with the seat scooted back a tad.
Thanks for the tips donb. I'm guessing an offset intake is available, and I was planning on getting a setback seat setup. Any suggestions on sourcing these items?

I'm also thinking about an internal drum brake, or disc setup, for the front wheel, but guess I would need different forks for the disc. Depending on how this goes, I could go crazy and change everything. I've been known to go whole hog on my interests, and this one is grabbing me pretty good.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I bought a La Jolla for my girl friend less than $100.00 with free shipping. I was impressed with the build quality of it. Alum frame nice wheels. It is really short coupled seat to bar. She is very short and it fits her ok but most people would be really cramped. Fenders were flimsy and I removed the front fender because it hit the wheel.
My own Huff build is coming along. I have had some problems but it is comimg along. This motor appears to have much better fit and finish than the first one I built I look forward to finishing this job and getting a ride on it.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I bought a La Jolla for my girl friend less than $100.00 with free shipping. I was impressed with the build quality of it. Alum frame nice wheels. It is really short coupled seat to bar. She is very short and it fits her ok but most people would be really cramped. Fenders were flimsy and I removed the front fender because it hit the wheel.
My own Huff build is coming along. I have had some problems but it is comimg along. This motor appears to have much better fit and finish than the first one I built I look forward to finishing this job and getting a ride on it.
Was her LaJolla the women's model, or men's? Kent or Next? Although I believe they are both made by the same company, there is a difference in the two. I preferred the Kent model as opposed to the Next version. This one was $99.97 with free shipping.

Haven't taken either bike out of the box yet as I'm waiting until I get everything together before I start. Should have the engine kit for the LaJolla by Friday, and will be ordering a 4-stroke kit soon for the Cranbrook.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Received my chinagirl kit on Friday, and unpacked it Saturday to look over the various parts. I think I know where most of them go, but do have a couple of questions.

I couldn't tell where this part is used. It was packed in the fuel tank parts bag along with the tank clamps. What is this used for?

Here are some photos of the kit being opened for those that haven't seen what it looks like. I'm sure there may be some lurkers, like I was, wondering what you actually receive, and how is it packaged.

From what I've read so far, the instructions that come with the kit aren't vey good. Is there a better source available?

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
As to instructions it really is pretty intuitive. Because it is a universal kit nothing really fits. You will probably have to fabricate some kind of a front motor mount. I would advise against drilling a hole in the frame. The people on this fourm are really good about helping you, they are quick to respond and they know what they are doing.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Received my chinagirl kit on Friday, and unpacked it Saturday to look over the various parts. I think I know where most of them go, but do have a couple of questions.

I couldn't tell where this part is used. It was packed in the fuel tank parts bag along with the tank clamps. What is this used for?

If there's only one, it's probably to hold the CDI on. I've never actually used one, because I always use wire ties for the CDI.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
If there's only one, it's probably to hold the CDI on. I've never actually used one, because I always use wire ties for the CDI.
I'm guessing, from what I've read, that the ties are used to prevent cracking the CDI mounting tabs. Is that correct?

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
As to instructions it really is pretty intuitive. Because it is a universal kit nothing really fits. You will probably have to fabricate some kind of a front motor mount. I would advise against drilling a hole in the frame. The people on this fourm are really good about helping you, they are quick to respond and they know what they are doing.
I agree about "universal" not fitting anything. That's been my experience as well. I have no intentions of drilling holes in the frame, but thanks for the reminder.

I have been reading everything I can for several weeks, and there is a wealth of information. I just wish it wasn't so spread out as it's hard to remember where to find the information. It would be nice to have the needed info available in a compiled list of subjects, and answers.