Huffy as a personal ride...experiences?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I would like to know how many here have built a Huffy or other inexpensive bike purchased at Walmart AS YOUR OWN PERSONAL RIDE, and how satisfied you were with it, how much mechanical work you had to do to make the bicycle reliable (non motor related), what upgrades you have done or would do out of preference rather than necessity, and whether or not you would build another or recommend the bike you used as a platform for motorization. I would also like to know how long you have had the bike, how often you drive it, and what future plans you may have if you haven't "finished" it yet.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will share my own experience. I purchased a Huffy Cranbrook at Walmart in 2010. The only major mechanical issue I had was bearing failure in the stock rear hub, and I replaced that wheel with a heavy duty double walled steel rim with 12g spokes and a Shimano clone coaster hub. I already had the heavy duty wheel, as it had been on my previous motorbike. I have done a lot of other upgrades, and all of them were for preference. I will go down the list and try to keep it short. I replaced the pedal crank and chain ring with a chain ring off of a mountain bike, ending up with 28 teeth on the front pedal gear. It was a chainring for a one piece crank. I also replaced the stock fork with a suspension fork. I replaced the gooseneck with one from an old Schwinn road bike. I replaced the cruiser handlebars with mountain bike bars. I replaced the front rim with a Worksman wheel with drum brake. I replaced the seat with a 13"W Worksman seat. I added a rear luggage rack to attach a side pack and rear/side lights to, and I also painted the frame and rims black. I have slowly worked on performing these upgrades over the course of 2 years. I have enjoyed getting to know my bike inside and out, and have learned a lot. The only reliability issue I had was with the stock rear wheel, and all the other upgrades I have done were out of preference. The bottom line for me is that this was a strong steel frame at a very reasonable price. I would build another, and I would recommend it to others with a word of caution about the stock rear wheel and adding something better than just a coaster brake. I do not yet know if the bike is "finished" or whether I have any major future plans for it. I do have some ideas rolling around in my skull, but I am very happy with it the way it is right now.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Just the frame, maam, just the frame
And get a freewheel back wheel, and handbrakes with a dual lever.
I supppose the alloy rims would do if you want to run those dog 26", but rebuild the back with a freewheel- much more dependable

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The nickname the Cranbrook has earned here is Cranbroke. Doing a search here for cranbrook will turn up a LOT of posts about that bike. Is there really a need to start yet another thread discussing a bike that has been discussed here so many time?!?

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
lol, i got a cranbrook now, word of advice, inspect all the welds before buying one. i got the only one with decent welds at my walmart,this is my second cranbrook, i had a older blue one, but i got t-boned on it an it got totaled, tweaked the frame, didnt crack anything tho. the older cranbrooks are about 3 inchs longer than the new ones, wish i had an older one again. and the coaster can be dependable, go to your LBS and order some shimano coaster bearings, the stock ones are soft and blow out quick with a motor. putthe bearings in and pack the hub FULL of grease, wheel bearing grease for a car is what i use, if grease oozes out of your bearing caps, you done good. inspect your hub every month, check it for movement, and once a month, crack it open and check the grease. if there isnt much, or its black, or smells burnt or nasty, clean it out and repack. routine and preventative maintenance is the secrete to a reliable bike

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The nickname the Cranbrook has earned here is Cranbroke. Doing a search here for cranbrook will turn up a LOT of posts about that bike. Is there really a need to start yet another thread discussing a bike that has been discussed here so many time?!?
Ahh yes the CrayonBroke laff

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Another member has started a thread strongly advising people not to buy Walmart bikes and calling them crap. I personally happen to disagree, so I thought I would start this thread to see how many people have ACTUALLY DRIVEN a huffy or other Walmart bike, and how they feel about what they have built. I'm not lookin for advice on how to build a Cranbrook or any other Walmart bike. I have a Cranbrook that I've had for 2 years and I'm completely happy with it. I would really like to hear from others who have built Walmart bikes as PERSONAL RIDES, and how THEY feel about it. If I have to I'll start a poll, but I thought I would keep it simple.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Started with 93 huffy sledgehammer mountain bike and trashed back rim while out riding. A week later I got a cranbrook and never looked back - I dig it. The accual bike is stock except the handlebars. For $88 couldn't beat it. I plan to upgrade brakes, wheels, swap out seat post for the layback with round gas tank I saw on the sportsman site. Only thing I've worn out is tires \m/ >.< \m/.
As far as the engine goes I'm on #3. Upgrades include offset intake, rt carb, ngk plug, automotive plug wire, shorter exhaust with baffle and end cap removed, port and polish on intake and exhaust side, and slightly larger (3.5lt) peanut tank.
I love my bike <3 and ride the crap out of it. I have no plans to get a new bike any time soon. Although I do plan on building another bike from a cruiser someone has given me ;) but ill be keeping the cranny..... Unless you wanna buy it for a grand or so bwahahahahahaha (cuz then I could go get another cranbrook and do it over again and still have 6 hundred bucks for gas ;))

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
On the other side of the coin, I did motorize a Cranbroke and got hairline cracks at the left seatpost/cantilever weld and one at the headtube around 400 miles. I caught them before they broke all the way through, thankfully.

This was on a 2002 Cranny with terrible welds, FWIW.

I notice on the newer Crannys that they moved the cantilever welds forward of the seatpost and the welds are much thicker. I think the newer frames themselves are probably ok. I replaced mine with a $40 mid-80's Schwinn Heavi-Duty frame and loved it (not American made, but still seemed quite solid).

Were I to do it again, though, I would go straight for a better frame with good wheels and brakes to begin with. These bikes go fast enough to get you hurt pretty bad, so cutting corners is not a good way to go. I understand being on a budget (I funded mine mainly by fixing and flipping stuff bought off CL, so it was a long process), so be sure to take a long hard look at what the tradeoffs are.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
I would like to know how many here have built a Huffy or other inexpensive bike purchased at Walmart AS YOUR OWN PERSONAL RIDE, and how satisfied you were with it, how much mechanical work you had to do to make the bicycle reliable (non motor related), what upgrades you have done or would do out of preference rather than necessity, and whether or not you would build another or recommend the bike you used as a platform for motorization. I would also like to know how long you have had the bike, how often you drive it, and what future plans you may have if you haven't "finished" it yet.
I have the huffy cranbrook I put about 1,000miles on it and the back rim started to bend..so i went to my local bike shop and bought one with 13 gauge spokes and have not had one problem since then. Its lite bike i really like it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm running a POS Next with heavy, cheap steel rims and rock-hard crappy tires (which lasted great and were death traps)that I bought at a yard sale. I put at LEAST 700 miles a month on it and it's still going strong at 2 years and counting. I just recently replaced the rims with alloy for lightness and strength, not because of any problems. I've replaced the brake shoes about 6 times so far if that tells you anything. I do keep up on the maintainence and check it after every single ride. I think the bike does matter, but not as much as the mechanic.

If you look close you can see the steel rim here. The only other thing on the bike changed for durability are the pedals simply because the plastic ones it came with hurt my feet and I had these laying around from a bmx.

Last edited:

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico
I shop at walmart a Schwinn Delmar cruiser I've changed the seat, handlebar,fork, tires, puncture proof tube,fenders, dual stand,pedals,Chain Tensioner,rear 26" Alloy Shimano CB-110 Coaster brake Black wheel(HD)Pirate Cycles Custom Sprocket Adapters,415 motor Chain,weld a base for the engine,petcock was removed and plastic mounted on,I put mirrors, speedometer,front/rear light,front brake,tool bag,some of these changes for safety, ergonomic, breakage, Appear.brnot

Last edited by a moderator:

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Maurtis.. I read your entire post on the Cranbrook weld.issue. enjoyed your sense of humor too. Hey, what would be your beach cruiser of choice taking into account quality and price?

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I have built and sold about 60 Cranbrooks and only one had a frame crack show up. On every one of them I changed out all of the wheel bearings,tubes, and pedals. All three of those are pure crap on these bikes. All of them are still going except for the one and I built him a new one because it was not his fault the bike broke. So as far as I am concerned the Cranbrook can be a very reliable ride with a few changes. Not much different than some other bikes that actually cost quite a bit more than a Huffy.
Just my 2 cents