My Craig's list find

GoldenMotor.com

Stroberto

May 17, 2012
long island
My original intention was to build my first motorized bike from a cranbrook I had, but while cruising Craigslist I found the Electra townie with an engine kit installed. It had a bad back wheel with broken spokes and a really bad rattle can paint job. I picked it up for $160. Now that I have the new wheel and a sprocket hub bracket I hope to ride it this weekend some.

Sorry about the messy garage I have a lot of projects going on, lol.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
That is an excellent find, grats!!! It is hard enough to find an Electra around here for $160, much less one with a motor already installed.

THAT is your idea of a messy garage??? Mine "cleaned" is worse than that ;)

Look at all that room in that frame... You could carry a spare HT mounted higher in the frame and swap them on the road should one fail, lol.

Grats again!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
However I have a gc160 Honda motor sitting on a shelf. For approx $70 BGF has a gearbox for 4 stroke engines. http://www.ebay.com/itm/bicycle-Mot...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2211dbb6

What would you do?

That piece of junk gearbox will not work with a gc160 Honda
which would tear it up in very few miles.

For one that motor has a shaft output that is not compatible
and that gearbox sorta works with a 50 cc Huasheng with the
tapered shaft or built in clutch.

The jackshaft set up to use with the GC 160 is sold by Affordable
Go Karts.

http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm..._Code=A&Product_Code=AGKPJS&Category_Code=PCJ

CulverCityClassic has some very nice GC160 builds here on the forum.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Of course I would go with the gc160 no questions asked, but if you stick with the current set-up, I'd get the larger p-nut tank and mount it inside the frame instead of on the top tube. It would look much cleaner that way. Nice find regardless ;)

dnut

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
My original intention was to build my first motorized bike from a cranbrook I had, but while cruising Craigslist I found the Electra townie with an engine kit installed. It had a bad back wheel with broken spokes and a really bad rattle can paint job. I picked it up for $160. Now that I have the new wheel and a sprocket hub bracket I hope to ride it this weekend some.

Sorry about the messy garage I have a lot of projects going on, lol.
nice bike! to bad its got that chain drive on it! No im just joking..im friction drive all the way buddy! But that looks cool! There's alot of helpful people here to give you fix it tips when the time comes! hehe

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I just checked bgf and found a magneto and cdi for less than 25$ for both shipped. I always search for free shipping items, saves you a lot of shipping costs.

Stroberto

May 17, 2012
long island
I definitely want to change the tank and location in the future. As of now though I want it all to work before upgrading. Financially I am not into it too deep and would prefer to ride it some before i start to customize it.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Well done. The Townie makes a great ebike too, because you can fit a lot of batteries into that frame.