The best in frame 4-stroke kit to buy

GoldenMotor.com

jliveit

Sep 10, 2012
California
Hey, I'm looking to get a 49cc in frame 4-stroke kit from online to build my first motorized bike. going to get the kit first and then look for a nice cruiser to install it on; hopefully a 50's or 60;s schwinn with a springer fork. I've been looking at bicycle-engines.com at their 4G T belt drive kit and after reading a lot of reviews about the stage III kits and similar transmissions I am under the impression that i should go with a belt drive, and not a gear driven? Also i have been looking at kingsmotorbikes.com and their Skyhawk 4G T belt kit and i was wondering what is the real difference between the two kits? Which website would you recommend i order it from or is there a better website out there? Because it seems like there is a difference in the parts you get with each kit and then the kit from kingsmotorbikes is $30 cheaper.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

jliveit

Sep 10, 2012
California
Santa Barbara. Is that kit the same as the one from pirate-cycles? How is the kit different than the one from kingsmotorbikes?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Yes, the T belt drive is much better than the geared Stage III

The Kings, gasbike.net, or any of their other websites has the 50 cc Huasheng motor with the clutch built into the side.

The Bicycle Engine Grubee 4 G kit is based on the 50 cc Huasheng motor with 5/8" shaft output.
The 5/8" shaft Honda style motor is the way to go. It is narrower, compatible with the better gearboxes so more adaptable.
Also the bicycle-engines.com kit is easier use with SBP's 4 stroke shift kit.

bicycle-engines.com just got a fresh shipment of kits that have the solid
pulley in the gearbox. No more one way bearing freewheel problems.

bicycle-engines.com has superior customer service and will honor their
warranty where as you will be lucky to get anyone on the phone at
kingsmotorbikes.
The same goes for Pirate Cycles, they are very hard to get a hold of.

bicycle-engines.com is the oldest and main seller of the 4G kits and they
have all the parts to service them.

You will be paying CA sales tax from kingsmotorbikes so the $30
cheaper price will be gone. I would still highly recommend buying
from bicycle-engines.com even if the price was higher!

I've been looking at bicycle-engines.com at their 4G T belt drive kit and after reading a lot of reviews about the stage III kits and similar transmissions

Also i have been looking at kingsmotorbikes.com and their Skyhawk 4G T belt kit and i was wondering what is the real difference between the two kits? Which website would you recommend i order it from or is there a better website out there? Because it seems like there is a difference in the parts you get with each kit and then the kit from kingsmotorbikes is $30 cheaper.

Last edited:

jliveit

Sep 10, 2012
California
Alright thank you very much. I'll get the Skyhawk 4g T-belt kit from bicycle-engines.com. Are there any accessories you would recommend buying right off the bat for this set up?

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Search on 4G transmissions and I think you'll find they need a little help prior to use. If it has a one way bering you'll want to have it welded so it doesnt fail on you and leave you stranded. Some people have traveled less than 50 feet prior to failure. I just bought a used one pre welded and it looks like a fine piece of kit! Cant wait to use it on something. Have a look at the pic's on the Phantom bikes website and see how they can be vintag-a -fied :) Errr... Like this!

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Search on 4G transmissions and I think you'll find they need a little help prior to use. If it has a one way bering you'll want to have it welded so it doesnt fail on you and leave you stranded. Some people have traveled less than 50 feet prior to failure. I just bought a used one pre welded and it looks like a fine piece of kit! Cant wait to use it on something. Have a look at the pic's on the Phantom bikes website and see how they can be vintag-a -fied :) Errr... Like this!
You don't read what I said right up there?
The fresh shipment from Bicycle Engines has the solid 100 tooth pulley
so that problem has been fixed.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Alright thank you very much. I'll get the Skyhawk 4g T-belt kit from bicycle-engines.com. Are there any accessories you would recommend buying right off the bat for this set up?
There are a couple of fixes you will need to make.

The carbs come with a brass plug over the mixture screw but it
can be easily drilled out.

You may need to replace the oilite bushing on the clutch and
there is another fix that replaces it with ball bearings.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
My 4G kit carb did not have the plug. The mixture screw was in the open just waiting to be messed with. If you pay attention to the set up instructions for the clutch assembly you won't have to worry about replacing the bushing for quite a while.

IMPORTANT: Try to get the kit with the 100 /12 designation. On these, the freewheel is on the output sprocket. It's a heavey duty freewheel. Just oil it and it rill run a long time. The 100 / 12 tranny does not have the 'one way bearing' everyone talks about that fails regularly.

Buy your kit from whoever you want. I got mine from BicycleEngines.com. They were very helpful with technical tips and advice. I'm sure others are good too.

You are on the right track. HS motor, 4G tranny with 100 / 12 configuration. (100 is the number of teeth on the big pulley, 12 is the number of teeth on the freewheel sprocket)