HF Vertical engine placement; carb repositioning

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
So I'm thinking I may rotate my HF79cc engine and install it with the cylinder vertical as many people are doing for a more b!tchin look. When I did a minor exterior teardown on my engine to see how I could fit it in my bike frame, I noticed that the carb is mounted to the engine using two pressed in 2.75" long studs.

Depending on orientation, the carb must be repositioned to sit relatively level in the frame. Are you guys using some sort of custom adapter/manifold to rotate the carb? I assume it must be machined. Seems like I have seen pics of peoples bikes with vertical engines and it looks like they are using radiator hose to attach the carb to the engine????

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Thanks for the link. I have a Greyhound 79cc engine, so I'm not totally sure this would work? The studs sticking out of the engine are really long.

Can anyone verify that this AGK carb adapter linked above will work with the 79cc engine? This Greyhound engine is (I think) coming back in a new incarnation as a Predator 79cc at Harbor Freight (possibly replacing the 99cc???) so this topic may be relevant in the near future.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
the studs aren't pressed in, they're screwed in. just lock 2 nuts together on the threaded end and remove them, then replace with 6mm bolts to attach the adapter. email agk with dimentions(distance between studs, diameter of carb) to see if their adapter will fit.