Lets help Harry ride!

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I did some quick research on the motorized bicycle ban in Australia (yes there is one) and I found out these facts:

1-The ban was initiated by environmentalists on the Western part of OZ to stop noise and pollution from two stroke engines on bicycles.

2-Specifically, the ban list all 2-stroke and petrol (gas) engines.

3-It does NOT mention Propane powered motorized bicycles :)

I know that California has some of the worlds most critical air quality standards and the rest of the U.S. usually eventually meets these. I know that any automobile that runs exclusively on propane is exempt from emission standards as propane is virtually clean burning. So clean in fact that fork lifts with internal combustion engines are operable indoors. I believe that if a four stroke engine is converted to propane fuel it would be the loop hole that our OZ friends need to enjoy motor bicycling again.

Here are some links about propane powered formerly gas powered engines.

http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/pplmwr-el.htm

http://theepicenter.com/tow102899.html

The first link is just an experiment to show that it works on a lawn mower. The second link shows what needs to be done to a carburetor to make it work on propane. Needless to say, the propane conversion would need to be on a four stroke engine as it self lubricates from the bottom end oil supply.

I think this is feasible. I would like a confirmation on the legal aspects of this being a work around OZ motorbike bans.

-Cobrafreakusflg

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I did some quick research on the motorized bicycle ban in Australia (yes there is one) and I found out these facts:

1-The ban was initiated by environmentalists on the Western part of OZ to stop noise and pollution from two stroke engines on bicycles.

2-Specifically, the ban list all 2-stroke and petrol (gas) engines.

3-It does NOT mention Propane powered motorized bicycles :)

I know that California has some of the worlds most critical air quality standards and the rest of the U.S. usually eventually meets these. I know that any automobile that runs exclusively on propane is exempt from emission standards as propane is virtually clean burning. So clean in fact that fork lifts with internal combustion engines are operable indoors. I believe that if a four stroke engine is converted to propane fuel it would be the loop hole that our OZ friends need to enjoy motor bicycling again.

Here are some links about propane powered formerly gas powered engines.

http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/pplmwr-el.htm

http://theepicenter.com/tow102899.html

The first link is just an experiment to show that it works on a lawn mower. The second link shows what needs to be done to a carburetor to make it work on propane. Needless to say, the propane conversion would need to be on a four stroke engine as it self lubricates from the bottom end oil supply.

I think this is feasible. I would like a confirmation on the legal aspects of this being a work around OZ motorbike bans.
It is feasable.....who would you like the confirmation from? Prolly should post this in the Laws and Legislation section rather than Board Trackers.....

dnut

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Haha thanks Cobrafreak, though unfortunately the Queensland laws say that internal combustion engines (ICE) are illegal. Im not sure propane would make it exempt. I may look into it a little more.

Hopefully you guys in the U.S dont follow our lead. These lightweight bikes could lead to a perfect form of transport in a gasoline hungry world. Especially with upgrades like propane or other alternative fuels.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Cobrafreak...Great idea.. ""BUT"" ..Australian Design Rules...are the biggest hurdle here...it can be done ... I run both my cars on LPG.....it would be very clumsy on a bike because of the safety equipment that is required for safe operation....electronic shut off valves on the tank and before regulator...pulse switch from the ignition to shut safety valves if engine stops..installation plate by sanctioned installer...register with DMV... ect..ect...DD

halfpint

May 8, 2011
Western Australia
Yep you can ride an electric bike in Western Australia but not a petrol one as they clas it as a motor bike and they will not give them Rego. I have built one only to find out I cant use it what a bummer. All the best Keith:-||