Another layback seatpost question

GoldenMotor.com

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Have installed a layback post on my 1903. It's a bit tall compared to most that I have looked at on the forum and I'm kind of on the fence about changing it. On the one hand it looks different than typical in that it sits about two or three inches higher and so looks different than I had planned. On the other hand it provides a riding position more similar to the road/racing bike I am used to. On the road bike position was everything as far as handling at speed. So after all that blathering on, here's my question: why are layback set posts typically set so low? Is there an ergonomic advantage with a MB that isn't there with a pedal powered bike? Or is it purely a aesthetic preference?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Added photo for reference (at least I hope so, outdated website driver warning came up - admin?).
Yep, that's too tall. I'd toss it on the pile, and get another one. As you might imagine, my reject pile is getting pretty high.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
It's possible to rework this one. I've been reading a bit on the differences between cornering techniques and the physics behind it for road racing bicycles as compared to motorcycles. I like the lower position as far as looks and I understand why it makes for better high speed cornering although I don't really consider 30mph high speed cornering. I like the ability to extend my legs when pedaling but it's not like I have clip in pedals on this thing! All in all I think we'll be reworking this one to drop it a few inches. Good thing I'm not in any hurry as many times as I've taken this thing apart and reassembled it slightly different.

Thanks for the replies, info and input!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
all my motored bikes are set up low and laid back because i'm not pedaling, i'm just sitting on it.

so i want the most comfortable sitting position, a low center of gravity for more control, and as norm said, gotta look cool...:)

my little race bike is so low and stretched out, it's a pain to pedal it. ran outta gas once and had to ride 6 blocks and it almost killed me.

it all comes down to comfort. if you like a tall seat, keep it.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Oh no, "it's more important to look good than to feel good" or at least look cool! Pedaling ergonomics vs powered handling seems to be the compromise to make. I plan to run the engine as much as possible.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Oh no, "it's more important to look good than to feel good" or at least look cool! Pedaling ergonomics vs powered handling seems to be the compromise to make. I plan to run the engine as much as possible.
It's always about compromise. No two wheeler ever made is perfect for everything. That's why there's so many different styles.

I'm like a lot of people. I don't peddle much when riding my MB, so that sets me free to bias more toward looks than peddle function. A motor bicycle is a different animal than a bicycle, so why not take advantage of that?

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Absolutely. I'm guessing my Fernando's Hideaway reference was lost there but I agree in that I'll be taking advantage of the benefits of riding a MB. I suspect I'll get stuck pedaling more than I'd like just because of stop signs and traffic lights but not so much that pedaling will be the priority. I'm still learning the differences between cycling and riding a MB and motorcycling isn't a part of my life so questions that seem really basic will be frequent!

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Harold.

Just cut off an inch off the top of the post. Put the seat on it, and see how it looks. If you don't like it, cut off another inch. Keep going until you reach the desired look.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, one small problem for me there. The post diameter into the frame is 27mm but the seat clamp is 22mm so we made the post with a stepped diameter where the seat mounts. In other words it is already bottomed out against the larger diameter. We'll need to cut and re-weld the post.

Thanks though, I appreciate the suggestion.

Harold

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
terrible picture. I need to make a custom seat post and a better picture would help my mental state about researching them.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
BTW, there are members of this forum that custom make layback seatposts that are sturdy and pretty inexpensive.

I had a Kip Harley layback on my Cranbrook, 1" seatpost side and 7/8" at the seat:

And I have an Inked1974 seatpost on my Schwinn, solid steel bar, 7/8" all the way: