Carb Issues with my HS

GoldenMotor.com

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I decided to give my carb a clean because it kept dieing going from full throttle to idle, usually approaching a stop light. I thought my jet could be a little plugged up, so I took apart the carb and sprayed carb cleaner and compressed air up any hole I could find.

I still can't figure out how to remove the main jet, I tried with a flat head screw driver, and it won't twist out of the threads. It's pretty narrow for a screwdriver, so I tried with 3 kinds, and still no luck getting the main jet out. Is it really tricky, or am I doing something wrong here?

After failing to take the main jet out, I just put it all back together and hoped the cleaner and air would do the trick. I couldn't remember which side the intake manifold gasket goes on, the carb side, or the plastic spacer side. I put it back so it's touching the carb side, and not touching the intake part of the motor. Is that backwards? Maybe I have an air leak from this, which is why is will only start with full choke?

Now it wont even idle, it will only run with me revving it.

How do I fix this?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
The jet should come out fairly easy with a small flat-head screwdriver, unless it is cross threaded. If so, then use a small wire to clean the jet hole. Your slow jet can also be causing your issue. Here is a link that should help...

Slow jet cleaning

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
Yeah I've seen the slow yet cleaning video before, I think my main jet is the problem. I don't have anything small enough to get in there. Maybe I will clip off a little extra brake cable and use a wire thread from that.

What about the gaskets though? Is the intake gasket suppose to be between the carb and the plastic plate near the intake? Or should the plastic plate go in between the gasket and the carb?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Problem solved! I figured out that I didn't have the bottom hose connected from the air box to the crank case.
That would be the crankcase breather hose........that fixed the problem Kev? I've run these engines without them and had no probs. Normally I run the K&N filter on the hose like the one AGK sells. That set-up works well also with a high-flow air cleaner as well.

Don't forget the larger carb and modified cam if ya wanna go fast like me :D

J/K bro....your bike runs very well ;)

Let's RIDE!

dnut

SD moto man

Aug 27, 2011
San Diego
I thought it was that hose that fixed the issue. The only other thing I did was poke the jets with a fine wire. Maybe they were clogged and I didn't get it the first time? Let's ride this weekend!