Extra Wide Crank for 4 Stroke?

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 6, 2012
Mahomet Il
As most of you already know, the Grubee extra wide cranks that come with most engine kits really suck.

I've been looking for alternate cranks online and it's pretty hard to find a non-Grubee one.

Does anybody know of any vendors who still sell extra wide cranks that will work with a 4 stroke engine?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
You might try sickbikeparts.com. They have a wide crank set-up.

And could someone tell me what is so bad about the kit 3 piece crank? Mine went right into a Schwinn Delmar. And can I use loctite or threadtape on this crank?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You might try sickbikeparts.com. They have a wide crank set-up.
Yep, perhaps the best 3-piece crank setup. If the freewheel aspect of SBP's 3-piece crank isn't wanted (freewheel is no good for coaster brakes, for example)
then the freewheel needs to be welded or a 5/8" shaft fixed sprocket mount used.

And could someone tell me what is so bad about the kit 3 piece crank? Mine went right into a Schwinn Delmar. And can I use loctite or threadtape on this crank?
Quite simply, the kit 3-piece is weak compared to a "real" 3-piece crank. It's also much more difficult to swap sprockets on it. It uses a proprietary sprocket mount!
The threads are iffy (proper 3-piece cranks never need Loctite!). The bearing setup on it has all the weakness of regular 1-piece cranks.

Experienced bicyclists will likely tell you Grubee pedal cranks are a joke.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I ride for top speed with a one piece crank with no problems. But my crank is an old school GT one piece(before they sold out). I have some newer GT parts(made by/through Pacific Cycles) and its crap. I also ride an '86 DYNO AIR with mainly DYNO parts and it also stands up pretty nice.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Aleman thanks for the info,but since I'm stuck with this "crap" 3-piece,could you,or someone,tell me if its ok to use loctite? And which color? Please?

Jan 6, 2012
Mahomet Il
I was finally able to find an extra wide crank kit from BikeBerry.com. It is Item# LEK_WIDECRANK and costs $49.95. Here is a little review for everybody.

General: This is a very accessible crank and bottom bracket kit. It does not require any special bike tools to be installed. All you need is a 14mm socket wrench head and a large adjustable wrench. You'll also need some bearing grease. However, if you want to remove the crank you will need a crank removal tool.

2 Stroke: Now I don't own a two stroke engine, so I can't be completely certain, but I believe this crank kit will have no problem clearing a 2 stroke engine. If it doesn't, all you have to do is bend the arms.

4 Stroke:This kit clears the right side of the engine with no problem. However, there are complications with the left (drive) side. Of this I can only speak for the 4G drive. The left crank arm that comes with this kit is too long and hits the plastic drive cover. The arm can be bent to clear it. I simply replaced this arm with shorter one that came with the original Grubee kit. It is a close fit but depending on the type of pedal this should work fine. In the end you will have pedals that sit relatively close to the engine.

Overall, I give this extra wide crank kit an A-.