Boy Go Fast 4 stroke kit gearbox??

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Replacing the chain, or chains, with good quality ones wouldn't help any? What else is wrong with them?
#1 replace the case with a good quality casting that won't wollow out where the bearings are
#2 replace the gears with case hardened gears
#3 replace the shafts that everything rides on with case hardened shafting
#4 replace crappy bushings with good quality bearings
#5 replace the chains with good chains that don't stretch
#6 add seals so the whole thing wont leak when you run it full of oil or gear lube

did I miss anything?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I converted mine to run the chain in oil. only had about 2 oz of oil in it and a vent cap on top. didn't leak but very little. Added a piece of nylon sheet as a chain runner under the slack side.

It worked pretty good for a while. But the case is weak and thin and it wallowed out arpond the bearings.
There are some better boxes like this out there, heavier cases and bearings and double row #35 chain.
Several vendors here i think, sell them. Dax might be one of them.

Last edited:

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
I converted mine to run the chain in oil. only had about 2 oz of oil in it and a vent cap on top. didn't leak but very little. Added a piece of nylon sheet as a chain runner under the slack side.

It worked pretty good for a while. But the case is weak and thin and it wallowed out arpond the bearings.
There are some better boxes like this out there, heavier cases and bearings and double row #35 chain.
Several vendors here i think, sell them. Dax might be one of them.
I looked into it and I don't think any of them are for the 15mm shaft though. I have noticed a little wallowing on my geared hoot too - that may be the downfall of it unless I can brace it somehow. The gear wants to rub the outer perimeter of the case.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Bummer. I've given up building a 4 stroke shifter kit bike. The 4G seems to have oiltite bushing and freewheel issues which preclude me from using it.
Why can't anyone product a reliable gearbox for the HS engine that is easily adapted for use with a shifter kit??????????????????????????????????

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Bummer. I've given up building a 4 stroke shifter kit bike. The 4G seems to have oiltite bushing and freewheel issues which preclude me from using it.
Why can't anyone product a reliable gearbox for the HS engine that is easily adapted for use with a shifter kit??????????????????????????????????

There must not be a big enough market to justify it yet. And say if there is a market and you spent time and money developing and manufacturing the best gearbox ever, the chicoms would just steal it eventually anyways and you'd be run out of business. So why bother? In the meantime, only garage type manufacturing is trying to fill the void, which can only be overpriced in such a small scale environment.

As long as that bushing issue has been around, and a raced roller bearing will apparently fix it with shaft modification, there is still nobody making a bearing that size or even a clutch bell that would accept a presently manufactered size bearing that does fit the shaft. Reason? Tiny market I guess.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
That's too bad you've given up. I love my shifter 4G. I run an Oilite bushing and never had a freewheel issue in over 4K miles.

I'd consider that pretty reliable.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i also have a 4g. only problem is my freewheel bearing in my pully busted. (i got the 20/80 gearbox with the 10 tooth solid sprocket.) i fixed that bearing with a couple tacks from the tig welder.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I have a 4g also with a 12t freewheel. I greased the freewheel before I mounted the engine. It's been flawless so far. Lubing the freewheel and clutch bushing are a standard part of my maintenance procedure.

From what I can tell reading the transmission posts, the 4g is the best available from China.