Show us your bung...

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Whatever you use make sure you have a vent to the tank.

I had a 'beer keg' tank made for a Caddy build for $100 and it had a sealed cap.
I just drilled and tapped a hole in the filler tube, inserted a nipple fitting, and ran a short hose down a bit.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Look in the garden tool, section of your hardware store, at the shelf with garden hose attachments ect. You will find brass caps and male hose fittings with pipe threads on thr other end. This is what some use for their tank.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think it depends on the gas tank you're putting it on. And your budget, of course. The tank Dan and I made for the Indian Hiawatha uses the garden hose hardware; a 3/4" brass hose coupling with one half ground down and a brass hose cap drilled for a vent. On my tank there wouldn't have been room for anything much bigger, so in my opinion it looks good and is proportional. On a tank with more surface area it would look dinky. Price is sure right, coming in at around seven or eight bucks total, a real bargainfor solid brass..

But CCC is right, a small filler takes more caution and time to fill. I made a special filler tube for my antique gas can, soldering a couple inches long quarter inch copper pipe "extension" into the cap itself. It makes it easier to control the filling and still see into the tank for progress to avoid over filling. I used a quarter inch brass bolt to seal off the end of the copper pipe extension. It works and I like it.
SB

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I think those brass G-hose caps are a really good “antique” look, not too far removed from what the early Indian’s actually used.

But I’m doing a more modern Bobber style this time so I’ll definitely need something of larger scale.

CCC, your link with the vented option would sure save a lot of fab time! I do wish it was a little cheaper though... :-(

Thanks all!

-Kirk

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I use gas fitting end plugs, they are made of brass, i found some old ones on a hotwater system that got thrown out at work, but i have gone and bought a new one for another project and the cap was under $5 which i think is hard to beat for such a nice looking cap. I then just found some old pipe at work and threaded the end of it.... all up cost me nothing but looks very cool IMO

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The diameter is about 25mm or 1".... some people may not like the small diameter for filling, but if youre careful it shouldnt be too troublesome, and i just prefer the look of the small diam fillers but i guess it isnt for everyone.

porch lizard

Nov 7, 2011
Scarville, Iowa
I used Silver Bears method of the garden hose brass fittings, and I think they look good, and are fairly cheap. A friend of mine mentioned that you can't fill it up with the standard gas station hose, but I have to mix it with oil anyway, so a different container is needed, and it might as well be something that fits the bike and not every vehicle on the road. I drilled a tiny hole in the cap for venting, but I'm getting gas coming out the hole from vibration. Is there any solution to that?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Porch Lizard,
You need to make a little baffle to fit inside the cap. I cut one out of plastic from some kind of container, don't remember what. The shape I cut was roughly star shaped so that the hole is covered, stopping any splashing of gas. It fits in between the inside top of the cap and the rubber gasket. Give that a try.
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thats what I would use they are on all the old briggs tanks. Or you can get car size from SpeedWay Motors, steel or aluminum............Curt

Some of the older small lawnmower tanks have aluminum tops with a short snout

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I realize that your looking for something more modern, but here is the gas cap I am currently using. It is a 1" brass pipe cap that I drilled a hole in and brazed in a copper vent pipe. For the male part I just used a 1" pipe nipple that I brazed into the tank.

I did need to add quite a few cork inserts inside the cap with a final two rubber inserts to act as a gasket for the cap.

Gilbert

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Thanks for the suggestions!

I’ve bought the one from MotoMagz link, nearly identical to CCC’s link but a little bit cheaper and more so without shipping.

I’ll add a vent myself.

Thanks again!

-Kirk