1950? 500cc BSA project

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The easiest way would be to adapt a mototcycle gearbox that has a kick or electric starter on it.

The cheapest DIY way, I would build a strong engine stand for it and adapt an automobile starter and ring gear.

You would have to have an adaptor hub machined to fit the crankshaft. Could saw off part of the auto crankshaft and make it from that quite easily.

Those british carbys are plentiful and not too pricy, but you could adapt a larger mower carby for testing .

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I've bought a Albion gearbox with kickstart but it's coming from France so I'm not sure how
long it will be.

I've just been told by Goldy that these engines are advisable to pull down and inspect. So I may yet do that and that way I'd have my gearbox as well. Thanks again

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh it's a great looking old engine, Harry!
...and I agree, a bicycle frame and wheels are just not going to hold up to the weight and torque...

it should not be too hard to find an Amal Monobloc there in Oz...
but it would be tricky to run it with and atmospheric intake???
nothing that could not be done!

As far as getting it started, IMO, the Prince of Darkness will be the biggest impediment, if that's where the juice originates.

Here's a pic of a bsa from 1915 that has some features that resemble your engine... which is what led me to think it might be older than the 50's.
There MUST be BSA org's that should have all the info you need on the model.

Gosh! How nice to find a great old piece of iron near where you live!
I gathered up a Tecumseh 2 smoke yesterday, but it's nothing like what you have brought home! lol

Can't wait to see how you progress on the new cycle!
Best
rc

Attachments

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hey RC, where's the 1915 pic? Did it have an atmospheric carby? Harry's carb might have been retrofitted, if so, it prolly has cam operated intake valve. One way to tell for sure, Harry, is to remove the tappet cover for a look.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
My engine number is ZM20 4913 so according to this page it would be a 1950 ZM20 i think.

http://www.britbike.com/bsapitstop/dating/1941-50.html

I asked a few questions over at Jockey Journal and ive had a few answers.

The guy in this video told me it may have been used as a stationary engine because of the carb, the bike in this video uses a 1928 BSA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw0Vhxc1irc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL62EAD74C89B5B086

Another guy added the engine may have been used on a Hargen saw

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=h...1&tbnw=151&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Could put the two together and it's a 1950 commercial engine. I'm sure there was a huge demand for consumer goods in Oz as there was elsewhere.

Must have been a lot of people moving in from other countries as well as the soldiers coming back from the war who needed generators and rotorvators as well as farm equipment that used small engines.
Whereever it was used it is one sweet motor and will make one heck of a motorbike.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I hope its a 1950 as i just bought a workshop manual for $40 delivered..... ouch, but it will be worth it. Ive also seen gasket sets on EBay for these engines so i will do an overhaul, and that will also help me understand this engine, i have a lot to learn, but thats also what i love about this hobby. And at least that way ill be able to fix it when it breaks down. I will take Rustycases advice and soak it in diesel until then so not to damage any fasteners while undoing them.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks but i sort of figured that. The old magneto is what really lends itself to the old boardtrack look.

I have a 3 speed Albion gearbox on the way and i plan on an open primary chain.

I also just bought 2 Amal carbs on EBay the other day, but they are probably too small im guessing as they are for my 2 x Victa 160cc engines i have that i plan to use soon (anyone thats familiar with me on this site knows i jump from build to build sometimes) and i ended up paying a little more then i wanted but oh well :-( pick em up soon

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120853058365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649