Indian Board Track racer Build

GoldenMotor.com

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
So recently I've decided to build a Motorized bicycle. The decision comes from need/wanting to save money on parking. I've always like the styling of old motorcycles which seems to bring me back to staring at pictures of board track racers. I've made a cafe racer and now own a Royal Enfield (I also own 5 bicycles) but my need for a new 2 wheeler is itching.

This a few pictures of what I'm going to try to build. I don't have the bike yet but I may be picking one up tomorrow.

The main difference is the tank the first it sits more on top and is rounded with cones on either end.

The next has a more flat tank that will sit under the top tube.

One of the biggest problems is the Tank, I'm not a welder so I'll have to find someone that is. I do however have the luck to have access to a powder coater.

Red Light Bandit

Dec 15, 2011
Dayton Ohio
First off good luck with your build. You never can have to many toys! Second If it were me I would go with the first rendering, I can see a 1908 Indian racer vibe there and that would be a departure from anything else on the road! Best of luck on which ever one you choose.

Red

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
Had a problem with the first frame I found. The seller wanted way to much. So back to the drawing board.

I'll be looking through some ones collection next week. Hopefully I can find something there.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I like it ! Don't get discouraged about losing that one and don't look past old 10 speed type bikes if they come up cheap or free. The style you're shooting for could use just about any straight tube frame.

Great idea for the extra fuel storage and bettery compartments as well. All the extra bits can go a long way towards making it look vintage. Use touches of brass and/or copper, add some contrasting colors and pinstriping and it'll look like you took it out of a museum display !

MHF

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
Copper is one of my favorite metals to use in bikes. So I hope to get as much as possible into the bike.

I also have access to a water jet machine so that should help all the sheet metal look clean.

It also helps that I'm friends with a bicycle builder. (I've already asked to make a frame. The response was can you wait about a year?)

I'm not 100% on the two renders that I made. If I can't find the right frame I'll work something else out. (the wheels are turning)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Sounds like you are in a hurry to get one going. Why don't you just put a motor on any old bike for now and take your time and find the right frame. You can always switch the motors later.
Some of the older 10 speeds, Even 3 speeds had the wider rims (crome ) and are perfict for your build. The first rendering is more true to the early Indian. Have you checke at the local land fills or recycling centers? you wouldn't beleve how many are tosed out........Just my thoughts ........Curt

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
That's what I'm thinking, if I don't find anything next week. I'm not in a huge hurry I just like to see progress.

I also plan on taking a ride over to pirate cycles and seeing what parts I can get buy locally.

The bike of my dreams won't be an over night production, I'm going to need to scavenge a lot of parts. Design and build others and work out any other crazy idea's I have for the build.

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
Every time I see pictures of the tank I get antsy,

Still trying to figure out who I'm going to get to weld the thing

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about go to a local welding shop and see if one of the guys do work at home. Better yet if there is a Votech that has welding clases maybe for a project..........Curt

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
I think between me and my friend we can tack it just not sure if he has time to tig weld an entire tank. I'll look into that.

These are the bar clamps I'll be making. Water jet cut from 1/2" Stainless. Then I'll clean them up to a brushed finish.

zachattack

Dec 2, 2010
missouri
i also did a Indian replica i kinda did a mix of the two bikes you showed. once i get a new back tire i will post a pic. maby you could get some insperation from my bike..

Roch48

Dec 27, 2011
Boston
Currently the projects on hold.. I'm waiting till my buddy gets his new shop set up so I can build a frame.

But yeah I'd love to see yours. I need to keep the idea alive in my mind