Please help

GoldenMotor.com

cartersummerell

Dec 11, 2011
Florida
Hello,

Im totally new to the forum and to motorized bycycles. I would like to build a boardtracker and I have no idea where to start...
1-what kind of bike should I use for a frame?
Also- is there anyway I can avoid having pedals?

I want to build it sorta like this...

Attachments

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Are you looking to make a motorized bicycle, or a custom motorcycle?

A bicycle has pedals...period! I believe every state law says so.

In most states, you can build a motorcycle, but you will have to follow all your state's requirements.
Check with your local DMV to find out the laws in your area.

Most states have requirements regarding engine size for bicycles too.
If you build a custom motorcycle, you can put any engine in it that you want (for the most part).

As far as your question about BTR frames, Worksman frames are a good starting point too. They have the old style BTR look.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Check out the legal/legislation sub-forum to get the info on Florida laws.
You can always paint the crank set flat black so that it is not as visible.
Worksman also makes a bicycle that can be used to make a an authentic looking boardie.

Last edited:

cartersummerell

Dec 11, 2011
Florida
AWESOMEEEE Thanks so much guys. I think I'm gonna go buy a frame tonight! Im not too worried about the laws around here. As long as it doesn't result in me having to get a motorcycle license that is. a pull start is fine too, anything really. I just am not big on the pedals idea. I live about 5 min from my college and just want something cool to get there with (but I do really want a motorcycle soon, just dont have the $ :(. but there is a lot of hills here and I really like speed, so I was wondering if there was any sort of engine thats a little bit bigger than the 66/80 cc engines I keep seeing everywhere?
Thanks guys!

Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
There are a lot of engines you can put in there, depending on your skill level and preferences.

If you're going to build a motorcycle, then you can get a motorcycle engine.

If you're going to keep it legally a bicycle, where you don't need the MC license, registration and insurance, you will have fewer choices legally.

It all gets back to the question of, "What do you want to build?"

cartersummerell

Dec 11, 2011
Florida
DAMN I just wanna be able to hit like 35-40 mph haha also I dont wanna have to worry about hills.
But I wanna build something like a board track racer, that can do a good speed and not worry about hills haha
If you were in my situation, what sort of and size engine would you use?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
In your earlier post, you said you don't have much $$$ to put into it.

I'd estimate that for a nice BTR build, you're probably going to be looking at a minimum of around $1000, unless you do a LOT of scrounging!

To just put a Chinese 2 stroke kit on a bicycle, you can keep it under $300.

What kind of budget do you have for your project?

cartersummerell

Dec 11, 2011
Florida
Actually I do have welders and I rebuilt a 73 dart about a year ago so Im pretty good with most things. but earlier I think I meant to say that I wanted to make a BTR style motorized bike. As of now Im thinking I want to do a pull start (and remove pedals - making it a "moped" type of thing) and I guess people dont really do a gearing system on these right? and as I said earlier, Im not sure about the braking system at all haha