anyone ever though of using a OUTBOARD motor?

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
idk if im crazy or just a genius but if a person tried to make,lets say a copy of a 1916 Henderson could they just take a 2 stroke 4 cylinder outboard motor and flop it on its side then put a radiator of a 80s dirt bike on the down-tube of a extremely stretched frame and to transfer the the shafts rotation from one way to the other by using the steering gear out of a 71 mustang? (i found the gear thing on the side of the road after a scrap truck went by)
or am i just insane?
(probably insane ).shft.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Ilike the idea of re-purposing an outboard motor for an old style motorcyle build.

A steering gear won't work for a power transfer gearcase though, they are limited to about 90 degrees of travel on the output shaft.

The lower unit gearbox from the outboard might work though. There's some reduction built in. Just hafta figure out how to mount it short, add a clutch and sprocket.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
ok. i got a outboard and i dont know if my welder will work anymore (uncle borrowed and "dropped" it off worktable) i also have a donor frame hanging up in the shed so as soon as i get my garage unlocked i will bring all parts together and begin the planning process (mite not happen immediately but ill be darned if this project gets dropped halfway through)

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Funny , i was searching for old motors and all these outboards came up , and i had the same thought ...BUT how bout this .. just get a small 5 hp and mount it the way it is on a boat , over the back of the rear wheel .... with the prop running , and just drive it downtown like that ... through puddles .

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm thinking the Tanaka Bike Bug engine started out as a Tanaka outboard engine.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
only outboard that I know of that has been made in the last 20 years that is not WATER cooled is the 5hp briggs and stratton. Outboards are also vertical shafted. Price a used outboard and you will quickly learn its better to sell the outboard and buy the right motor

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The small Honda 2hp outboard is air cooled.

Other for thought:

Also I have seen another way to go from vertical to horizontal drive with a v-belt and pulley half twisting. A 7 hp lawn mower engine vertical was geared down before or after the belt not sure which, then it drove the rear wheels of an art car wagon.

I pulled from the trash a motor like this and low and behold the self propelled front wheel drive with gearing down box was driven by a half twist belt drive right above the spinning blade on the shaft. Holding in on the pull handle tightened the slack in the belt to act as a safety clutch to stop the mower if it got away.

Looking at some of how many of these other than motor bikes are built can give good ideas to use on the motor bikes.

I though found it easier, or at least thinking I'm saving in cost by getting fixer-uppers at the flea markets for side shaft engines. I think it was 15 dollars and got two Briggs side shaft engines and knew that I had enough spare parts to get them running. I bought new gaskets and cut both the valve and seat angles by taking them to a machine shop $40. The compression so much better on both engines.

A junk yard for bike parts or whole used bikes I found at Faber’s Cyclery in San Jose, CA. Just opened on Saturday is what I hear. Best to call and find out.

Faber's Cyclery - San Jose, CA

Handle bars I picked up there were really good without the chrome gone and cost way less than new. A lot of rusty stuff as it sits outside, but just as long as it is only on the surface, many people on this site paint old sytle frames.

Measure Twice

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Yea, sometimes a person can find diamonds that have seen better days (when I found my 1948 monark superdeluxe nether of my parents would drive there to pick it up so I made the trip home on my motorbike with the ENTIRE bike slung ofer my sholder) and then with a little tlc they canbe brought back. And why hasn't annyone ever though of the water cooling idea? I mean if it works for 500cc dirtbikes I think it would work on a motorbike, I bet goldy would have a few pennies to add to this jar of questions.

Last edited:

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
You'll need to sort out the cooling system first...getting the coolant into the engine isn't really a big deal, but most of these things have the water exiting the engine and cooling the exhaust...you would have to find a way to pipe it back toward the radiator, but with a little head scratching, you ought to be able to surmount that problem...and then there's the exhaust itself. How about two or three or four small four stroke engines coupled closely together and mounted vertically in-line? I need another beer.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'll track down the pic I got of outboard powered bikes...
both are rack mount, al roller in place of the prop... fd against tire.

rc

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
on Vintage Projects and Building Plans they have plans for both a motorised bike and a strange outboardpowered sled jigaboo that I was going to use the cooling system out of the plans. Baisicly they just tapped the intake holes and ran hoes to a old car radiatir then swaped props and welded the entire contraption onto a sled frame!
Their motobike plans are verry cool and they're baisicly just like how goldy made his bsa coppy only this ones belt drive (very cool looking)

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
I had already started the Cyclone chain drive bike, but on a road trip to Rhinebeck last year we bumped into a fellow who had built himself a belt drive bike from those plans. He gave us the site name and we checked it out after we were back in N.S. and decided to use the plans to stitch together the red bicycle for Herm. It works pretty good, but is a little under powered. I almost changed my mind, but eventually carried on with my own chain drive ideas with the cyclone and BSA.
Anyhow, the outboard project you referred to could very well steer you in the right direction with the outboard motor...you'll have to see what you have to do to make it work with the engine you have...what kind of horsepower is this thing?

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
well I got a bit of a bombshell, my grandpa Leon just passed away this morning at the age of 86. I am dedicating this build for him. i hope that wherever he is now that he is in no pain. everyone in our family will miss him very much. a ww2 veteran of the war in the pacific he had so many storeys to tell of when he and his friends played practice jokes over there like how they all went for a ride in a willies and they ended up 15 miles behind enimie lines... or when he met pappy boyington of the "black sheep" squadron
damn I half to stop remembering for now or ill cry on the keyboard again

Goldy

Oct 3, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sad news, very sad, another window into the past closed. My sincere condolences; sounds like he was someone to be very proud of...tell your kids and grand kids all about him, he will live on in memory.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My condolences also. I lost my Dad 16 January this year. He was also a Veteran of the Pacific, a rear seat gunner in the Dauntless dive bomber. Not only are we loosing a generation of great men but also of Fathers, Grandfathers, Uncles, and friends.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Yes. There was this ainchent old codger that lived in tow and whenever me and my freinds were in town we'd allways stop and have a glass of lemonaid talk to him. But one tme we stoped and his son answerd the door and said that he was in the hospitle. We rode out there ad visited him and he said that he flew a f4f wildcat off of a carrier. The next day the son said he passed. As goldy said these glorious windows into the past are slowly closing and the day the last man leaves the building will be a very dark day in the great country of america.

As burt munroe said; a man is like a blade of grass, he grows up in the summer tall and green and possibly dodges a lawnmower or two. But evntualy the winter comes and covers the grass.
Grandpas funeral is on Monday at 1 o'clock. And rickers from far away as alaska, (that's rite anorage alaska) are comming down for him. A shooting star of any other name