Dellorto 16.16 SHA review

GoldenMotor.com

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
I recently have had enough with the NT and RT (Dellorto clone) carburators, and dropped 70$ on a real Dellorto 16.16 SHA from treatland. The NT is low tech and I could never get it to provide the performance I wanted, and the RT had a defective pilot jet that I bored out to clear. It idled, but ran unacceptably rich. 6MM dellorto jets are impossible to find, and while attempting, the float bowl developed a nasty seal leak and started peeing a gas/oil/methanol blend all over everywhere.

Not pleased. So I threw down for real Italian aluminum.

I threw the stock NT jet in there, mounted it up on my bike, everything hooked right up, took it out today. Mind you, I had done everything possible beforehand to nail down the problems this bike had been having, so once it finally got a fuel air mix it liked (And a bigger throtte body) performance all around has gone up measurably.
Performance at the top end has gone from the generous side of 'Acceptable' up to 'Terrifying'
I'm going to have to clock this thing, but suffice it to say that previously, I was encountering 4 stroking once the bike had accelerated as far as it was going to go.
Now I'm seriously afraid of winding this bike out all the way, and this is a 50cc.

Verdict: If you've done everything else to your bike and you want a beautiful carb, spend the extra 30$ over the RT and get the real deal. You'll pass this carburator on to your grandchildren.

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I've been considering pulling the trigger on the 16.16 for the 66cc and throwing the RT carb on the new 50cc. Glad the bike is pulling hard for ya!

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
I just put a 14 12 that was handed down and wow I wont go back but I assume the 14 12 14 14 15 15 and your 16 16 bis the size I thinking of getting a new one whats the best size ? whats the bigest size I have a 57 and 60 jets that run goodI tried 62 64 ect but the 60 is best if I go with a 16 16 and jet down will I get better preformance them the 14 12 I got ? also some have a feul/air adjustment is that good to have or problems ? and I think sick bikes has jets you were looking for and pirate has jets too

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
I have a 14.12 Sha that is going on the girlfriend's motobecane. The only difference between the carbs is the sizing. The 14.12 has a 14mm throttle body, but only a 12mm venturi.

This means that you can disassemble the carb, remove the atomizer, and drill the carb body out to 5/8" (Drill press, step it up from 1/2, to 9/16 to 5/8") which will give you nearly 16mm of bore. Clean it out, re assemble and rejet.

riff44raff

Nov 4, 2010
staton ca
ok I have seen these carbs with and without air fule mix screw I can tune a carb witch is best for speed top end ?and some come choke on the carb or handlebar switic . whats that about ? thank you

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
The air/fuel mix screw probably isn't nessasary. Jetting your carb properly is nessasary. And there isn't a carb jetting good for top end and one for low end, there's just one proper fuel air mix for your motor, the Dellorto SHA has three openings in it's jet tube that open as the throttle slide ascends.

The choke option is a matter of preference, I prefer the click choke that has a lever on the carb.

Furthermore (And let me make this perfectly clear) A bigger/better carb is not going to create power out of nowhere. Having a consistent, 'just right' air fuel mix is key to having a powerful, efficient, high revving motor. But Every System has to be tuned to take maximum advantage of this. Electrical, Crankshaft, Intake manifold, Head, Piston, Porting (!), exhaust, Everything.
Taking a stock HT motor, throwing it on a cranbrook with a bunch of 'performance' parts bolted on won't be as impressive as taking a stock HT motor, porting and 'finishing' the crap outta it, and mounting it up to a nice quality bike.

So In that case I'd reccomend the SHA 16.16 to anyone who's determined that their carb is the choke point in their motor, or is looking to build a high performance motor from the ground up.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Reviving this thread, anyone else using the Dellorto 16.16 SHA? I'm having the same issue at WOT with some 4-stroking like the bike wants to do more but it needs that little extra push.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
my SHA16.16 is still sitting in its box.

I only have put the dellorto sticker on my toolbox.

I have no idea where to start with tuning. 48cc, 2 Stroke, 600m above sea level. any idea which jet size to start with?

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Reviving this thread, anyone else using the Dellorto 16.16 SHA? I'm having the same issue at WOT with some 4-stroking like the bike wants to do more but it needs that little extra push.
I have a 16.16 on my bike . It has been a good all round carb , not the best but good . What jet are you using ? It is best to use real Dellorto jets that way you know where your at . Right now I running a 66 main jet . You must jet to your motor and where you live and ride . Your bike is a lot like mine but not really pipe , CDI coil and porting. So get some jets and start tuning , put in a new spark plug to start your jetting . Dan

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Install it and see what your motor wants. Tune like any other, go smaller until it stops 4 stroking and fine tune with needle.
HT's are almost always extremely rich and run best with a rich mix. I leave mine just a bit fat for better engine life. Mine four strokes a bit at steady throttle and pulls hard under load. This might help explain how I get such great results out of these kits. Leave it rich enough for lots of lubrication and your motor will last longer.

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
Install it and see what your motor wants. Tune like any other, go smaller until it stops 4 stroking and fine tune with needle.
HT's are almost always extremely rich and run best with a rich mix. I leave mine just a bit fat for better engine life. Mine four strokes a bit at steady throttle and pulls hard under load. This might help explain how I get such great results out of these kits. Leave it rich enough for lots of lubrication and your motor will last longer.
There is no needle used in the SHA all the tuning is done by the main jet . Your right a little fat (rich) is better in the long run . Have fun Dan