'77 Schwinn 2.5hp Home Made Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Heres a view of the scissors clutch on my Schwinn that works very well with a standard brake lever and cable. It raises the heavier engines with ease and is not hard to fab. I had one FD bike with a hand lever and found it too clumsey fo my limited cordination.http://motorbicycling.com/f36/another-friction-drive-last-one-i-31318.html#post301006
Lol yeah you pretty much gotta be a pupeteer to ride this thing! I was thinking attatch the cable to the frame at the end of the clutch lever bar, but I will have to consider that scissorsing idea now.

That's one good looking bike there Cannonball!

And your roller attachment method has got to be the best idea I've seen yet

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Catastrophe!

Beware vibration is the truth alright.

Check ALL your fasteners is great advice, but I didn't think to check the ones holding the engine itself together.

The tiny lil' itty bitty screw holding the choke plate on wiggled off, got sucked into the motor, and KA-CHUNK!!! Locked it up.

Ouch.

Dunno how bad the damage is exactly yet, but there ain't no runnin this motor 'til a rebuild, at least. Luckily I can just unbolt everything and my bike is as it was initially, pre-motorizification, plus a few scratches.

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
I found another snowblower with the same motor for thirty dollars. i could just slap it on this bike and go, but I found a comfier bike to put it on. This bike is such a bone-skaker, being so heavy and with those skinny-azz tires, and the added weight of the motor only enhanced the spine-jarriness.

So I have enough TV bracket left to make a second rack, I can build the new bike without having to loot parts off this one, and I can (hopefully) rebuild the motor and have TWO MBs!!

My very own fleet! Lol! Well, the beginnings of one.

And I can tinker with the idea of the cable operated scissors clutch and stuff.

When I get a proper amount of info gathered, I will start a new build thread for bike number two

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
nice bike!
you should be getting 40 mph outta that thing with the right spindle, i love skinny tire bikes and this ones a beaut'

hand clutch and throttle ca take up alot of room on those curley bars, try a setup like this:

also double pull levers can apply both brakes with one lever freeing up some space
good luck on your oversized wasp bike, sorry to hear about your engine sukin up a screw, bad times (makes me paranoid because i run open air finters haha)

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
This is my first time seeing this old thread. Psycledeliac's original '77 Caliente build had me excited. Was also curious to see how scary that thing would turn out. Can't blame you for switching to a "comfier" bike, though. What kinda' bike you motorizing now, Psycledeliac?

Glad to see pocdragon's not giving up on the skinny-tire flyers. You can fit one or two more brake levers on those bars, BTW. Then it would look so confusing that a thief wouldn't know how to steal it.

Psycledeliac

Oct 16, 2011
Flint Michigan USA
Hey thanks for the replies, and apologies for a belated response

'twas a screamer of a ride configured like that, and I'm keeping the mount so I can re-create it easily, but I'm going to experiment with a 26cc weedeater motor for it. I lost agility and curb hopping abilities with that big motor and this is primarily my city bike, which I pedal mostly, so the tiny motor may suit me better.

I will update as progress occurs, just got the weedeater on clearance, $39

Pocdragon, I like that lever idea! Will probably do similar if I keep these handlebars, but have been seriously considering upright bars lately. I dunno if I can bring myself to cut that 35year old translucent blue handlebar tape tho lol

a_dam, I'm getting alot of inspiration from your builds, and will probably mimic your design when I put the ww motor on the Caliente, thank you!!

My cruiser is up and running and the thread is here-
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35086

The cruiser bike I can take outside the city, where there's little traffic and more room, and wotta smooth ride!! I gotta go update that thread now....