Lovely bike for a lovely lady:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
For as far back as my memory reaches, I have always had a fondness for antique stuff. Don't really know why, just like the syle I guess. But I have to say, since my wife and I have similar tastes, I really like the look of her bike. So I found something to do while I wait for the gas tank for the Tempus II. I'll be working on her bike. That's it down below. My next project.

For a step-through (lady's bike) it has classic lines that just appeal to me. I promised her I'd have it looking as close to "showroom" as I could get. I asked her some time ago if she wanted me to motorize it too, and she stated that I must restore it first. Then, when she sees it, she'll decide. Even then, I know that for her the motor set-up will have to blend well with the bike and not detract from its style. She, too, REALLY likes how it looks.

I've looked it over enough to know that I'll need to paint the fenders in a matching color scheme to the frame. The rust near the bottom of them is just too daunting. The cranks will be hard to polish up, but they can be done. The springer fork is not as bad as the bottoms of the fenders, but almost. I'm going to try to polish it up - we'll see how that goes. I'm going to slide a pristine seat post in there. She'll need a new seat, this one has a big gash across it. I'll find her something nice and comfy. I saved the original Schwinn handlebar grips, but the handlebar has got to go. The chrome is literally peeling off of it. Plenty of work here to keep me busy for a while

As far as motorizing, I'm leaning towards a Bike Bug set-up in the front (if the fork spring isn't too much in-the-way). And maybe paint it to match the rest of the bike. Like I mentioned, if I do motorize it she will want it to look good that way - or she'll have me take it all back off. She likes this bike so I'll have to be careful with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Cool bikes, guys. Can my wife be in the race, too? She is really fast. It's kind of embarrassing actually. And she rides a cruiser, no less........

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
For as far back as my memory reaches, I have always had a fondness for antique stuff. Don't really know why, just like the syle I guess. But I have to say, since my wife and I have similar tastes, I really like the look of her bike. So I found something to do while I wait for the gas tank for the Tempus II. I'll be working on her bike. That's it down below. My next project.

For a step-through (lady's bike) it has classic lines that just appeal to me. I promised her I'd have it looking as close to "showroom" as I could get. I asked her some time ago if she wanted me to motorize it too, and she stated that I must restore it first. Then, when she sees it, she'll decide. Even then, I know that for her the motor set-up will have to blend well with the bike and not detract from its style. She, too, REALLY likes how it looks.

I've looked it over enough to know that I'll need to paint the fenders in a matching color scheme to the frame. The rust near the bottom of them is just too daunting. The cranks will be hard to polish up, but they can be done. The springer fork is not as bad as the bottoms of the fenders, but almost. I'm going to try to polish it up - we'll see how that goes. I'm going to slide a pristine seat post in there. She'll need a new seat, this one has a big gash across it. I'll find her something nice and comfy. I saved the original Schwinn handlebar grips, but the handlebar has got to go. The chrome is literally peeling off of it. Plenty of work here to keep me busy for a while

As far as motorizing, I'm leaning towards a Bike Bug set-up in the front (if the fork spring isn't too much in-the-way). And maybe paint it to match the rest of the bike. Like I mentioned, if I do motorize it she will want it to look good that way - or she'll have me take it all back off. She likes this bike so I'll have to be careful with it.
Wish my wife would ride then I could at least say .."I'm working on your bike not mine"Allen,your wifes bike is not that old you might be able to find a complete bike as cheap as replacing parts..just a though.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wish my wife would ride then I could at least say .."I'm working on your bike not mine"Allen,your wifes bike is not that old you might be able to find a complete bike as cheap as replacing parts..just a though.
Oh, I got parts. Heck, this project'll help me clean out the shed a bit. Got some practically new cruiser handlebars around here someplace, a shiny rust-free seat post too, I may even be able to scare up a practically new kickstand.

It's the fork & fenders I'll be spending time on. But "finding a complete bike" - maybe for cheap, but then I would have to convince her that it was the same one somehow. This one was a gift, can't remember who gave it to her, but you know how that goes. She's got sharp eyes, and she's attached to this one so I'll be trying to keep it pretty close to original.

BTW, those are some nice bikes up there. The ladies have pretty good taste in their bikes also.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
No new pics yet. Just began the work of tearing this old girl down. You know what: the seat post is a different size from standard. I'll have to measure it. I tried to put a nice, practically new, polished chrome one in there, and it wouldn't fit - AT ALL! And the steel of the frame seems to be a heavier gauge than what I generally see also.

So now I'm polishing the seatpost so I can stick it back in. I'm using a vinyl repair kit to mend the seat. And I'm taking everything off the frame but the cranks, so I can haul the frame with me at some point to choose matching paint. Might have more pics with next post.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Heavy guage metal you say? Sounds heavy and hard to pedal...... youre wife DEFINIYELY needs a motor in this thing........ lol or at least thats what you should tell her.

I really hope she likes it and decides to motorize it. Its a pretty cool experience to ride one of these things, at least thats what i hope my gf thinks. I think that would make for an enjoyable day. Take the bikes for a ride with a stop for lunch

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Heavy guage metal you say? Sounds heavy and hard to pedal...... youre wife DEFINIYELY needs a motor in this thing........ lol or at least thats what you should tell her.
For anybody else, that line of reasoning would work well. For my wife, not so much. She has pretty good endurance, and pretty strong legs. She could probably kick a moose and make it hurt. This is the woman who got hit by a double-decker bus in Oxford England, and no bones broke. The same woman who, after having had an extremely bad experience with a bully of a doctor, decided that when it was time to give birth she would hire a midwife and give birth at home without drugs. And she liked it that way so she did that with the third and fourth daughter.

I'm not going to be the one to say "Oh, the steel on this bike is much too heavy. Let me motorize that for you, dear." I'll get that look from her that could peel paint at twenty paces. She might let me live though, LOL

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Haha, ok maybe a different line of attack..... say you arent going to motorize it because you dont want her to get hurt and not sure she would be actually capable of riding it....... you will get the same look that would peel paint at twenty paces except the end result will be you get to motorize it :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Allen,
A couple thoughts regarding the motor. The bikebug (I've used a few) would require you to do away with the springer fork. You would also have to cut the front fender just forward of the fork as that is where the drive roller engages the front wheel. It would pretty drastically alter the looks of the bike. Unless you put something behind the seat (And that would also probably mean doing away with the fender, but this time, the back one. I think maybe the least alteration to the lines of the bike, the fenders and springer fork would be a little 50cc China girl in frame. I'd go with that one because they are easy to pedal start. I know she has strong legs, etc. Just seems a little smoother than the 68s in my limited experience. Also,if she decided later she didn't like or want the motor you wouldn't have made any real alterations to the bike other than cutting a bit of the fender for chain clearance. I've put China girl motors in several girl's bikes. Cool if you two can motorbike together.
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You make some good points, SB. And now I have some ideas from them. I'll bring up what you said with her. I'm sure she'll want to keep the springer fork. I think she would carefully consider the 50cc in-frame HT. And if she DOES go for it, I have an old rear fender that's already been cut which I can paint to match. If she should decide to change her mind - everything's reversible. No worries.

Now, alas, I have no pictures yet of what I've done so far. But I haven't done much, as I have been sick as dog. I did, however, fix the tear in the seat. And I polished the seat post. I adjusted the new handlebars a little better. And I took apart the front fork in preparation to brew up some rust remover.

After I cleaned up the frame, though, I saw it was in good shape under the grime. I won't have to really do anything to the frame itself. That is very good news.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I hope that one look at these photos will show that I've been busy. I've used various means to remove rust from the fork and seat post of my wife's cruiser. If you look back at the first pictures, you'll see how far I've come.

No, I'm saving my pennies right now. New parts would have been easier, true. But sometimes elbow grease has to substitute for dollars. I've been down that road before (four kids) and I'm used to making things like new again.

Nice seat, eh? It is VERY comfy. You'd never know it was off my wrecked motorbike. The tear in the vinyl is mended and gone. Though, if you look close, you might see a scar.

Still have to prep and paint the fenders. And I'm still not quite done with the fork. But she's coming along.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Stripping a bike is hard work hey..... sandblasting is a little too dear (here anyway), paintstripper seemed fiddly to me..... im no expert but ive found the best way is a wire wheel on a 4" grinder...... punishing on the hands though. And theres always those few hard to reach places.

Cant wait to see paint on that thing.....

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well, to be honest, you can see paint on it right now. The fenders will be painted a matching silver-gray with burgundy striping to match the color combination on the frame. The paint on the frame only needs to have a couple nicks touched up here and there.

The frame is in fantastic shape. And my wife wants the color combination left alone. It's her bike, so her word is law on this.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I think it's a great thing to build your girl a bike (or two.)
I built her a 1961 Schwinn 'double straight bar' without a motor for the days we only want to pedal; & I built her a 1980 Schwinn Spitfire with a motor.
It's a great way to spend time together!