yet another cran adventure

GoldenMotor.com

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME

okay, so it's been a four month build, on and off. started on a whim of an idea i'd seen years ago, and it's grown a lot from there. as everyone who has started with this bike for a first build would say, "i wish i could start over". it's been a mess, but quite a learning experience. next time will be a lot less sloppy, that's for sure! regardless, i am oh so happy with all that i've learned in the process. being in my mid 20's i find it sad i've never owned anything with an engine before. living in a small city with great public transportation, it's never been on my mind. not that i will ever rely on my bike for daily transportation, it's still OH SO F---ING FUN!

start:

-"walmart special" huffy cranbrook
-ebay buy of 80cc kit from "daemon bikes" (canada)
-ebay 6v light kit from "boy goes fast"
(both fantastic with shipping!)

build:

bike was initially the blue and creme cranny. the day i brought the bike home i dismantled it, stripped all the stickers off, hung all the parts in my basement, and painted it. this was a week before the engine kit showed up. of course i had no idea what i was doing and was very fortunate my kit came with a universal engine mount for larger tubed frames. i did the frame in flat black and did the rims and initially the fenders in silver. was hoping to go with a low-key rat rod kind of look.

initial issues:

-coaster brake: disassembled it when i deemed it impossible to use with the engine sprocket (though i guess a lot of people still manage this). after pedaling around a few blocks like that the hub locked up and kicked me off the bike. so i bought a new rim with 12g spokes and a free wheel by shimano.

-rear sprocket: did not know this is supposed to be REALLY tight. reaaaaally tight.

-kill switch/white wire: neither works, and were my biggest problems with getting the bike started the first time. a local guy who builds them figured this out for me and got the bike running.

run-in problems:

-carb: the stock carb worked really great at first. maybe the first 20 miles, top speed close to thirty. but then something went wrong. engine rev'd real high and then stalled out. if i'd let it sit for awhile and start it, it'd go fine a block or two, and then rev and die. at first thought maybe it was my poor oil mixing skills. turned out (only recently figured this out) to be a hairline crack in the carb. not positive how it got there, but my hunch involves a whole other stupid short story.

-carb2: ordered a CNSv2 carb, took a lot of tweaking to get the bike started the first time. ran "best" on the 2nd from bottom needle clip. maxed out at 15mph, not even half throttle. bogged down no matter how i had everything adjusted. when it comes to "jetting" a carb the first time, i am not ready for it.

-carb3: just installed today, is the RT (delorto clone?) from Dax. this thing is absolutely amazing. runs 100% better than the stock carb did at first. with less than 2 hours of break in on this carb i've certainly beat my top speed by a long shot. the bike finally feels ALIVE. takes a minute after starting for the engine to warm up and be good to go. assuming this will go away after it's broken in.

customization:

-added speedometer
-added rear bike rack
-flipped the bars after being inspired by many builds on this site!
-added headlight/taillight kit from boy goes fast.
(not having the functioning white wire i planned on using, i needed to improvise)

lights:
using an older 9.6v craftsman drill, i cut off the handle, rewired it, and added switches to use the battery to power my 6v headlight/taillight.
turns out, that burns out light bulbs quickly. ordered some makita 9.6v light bulbs as craftsman never made a flashlight for their 9.6v series.

seat:

hated the old-man style huffy seat, while comfortable, not stylish.
ordered a giant springer seat off ebay (did not realize how big it was til it arrived).
copied Flatblack's style and used some cast iron piping and ingenuity to create a laid-back seat post. while not perfected yet, it's working pretty well to get me an extra 5 or so inches from the bars.

still working on:

-bought a 5.56mm ammo crate from the army navy store. drilled it and attached it to to the rear rack before i had the giant seat. ran my wires and battery pack into it with switches for the lights. had to remove it to fit the seat, and plan on re-installing it on the side of the rack this weekend.

-bought some well used older steel pedals at a bike shop, removed the reflectors and painted the pedals silver. don't have a wrench strong enough to remove the current ****ty plastic pedals, but it'll happen soon!

more to come:

-front rim with drum brake (26" FRONT WHEEL WITH DRUM BRAKE HUB: Husky Bicycles)
-red/brown brick 2.25 tires
-analog speedometer
-small half gallon motorcycle gas tank. found one in auburn for sale, but couldn't find a petcock with smaller threading to fit it.
-would like to install a springer fork, but not sure what it means to be "threaded/unthreaded" and how to find what i need. (help??)

EDIT: i left out many many details and hiccups. but the main points are here. any questions, just ask!!

Last edited:

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
UPDATE: parking this outside the restaurant i work at every night has turned out to be a hassle. it's a busy street downtown, so i lock it up directly outside the window where i am doing prep work all night, to keep an eye on it. i repeatedly have to knock on the window to tell people to stop touching the bike. i've seen people turn the throttle, touch the brakes, squeeze the tires, try to sit on it, ALMOST open the ammo crate i have on back, AND one guy even opened the gas cap!! what on earth? do people have no respect anymore? i've also had quite a few people after realizing it's my bike, come into the restaurant to ask me questions. freaking ridiculous! i'm thinking of making up a sign tomorrow afternoon that explains the bike, not to touch it, and hey, you can buy it for a grand! although i wouldn't sell it until i could: keep the seat locked in place, upgrade the battery system, switch the tires for brown bricks/balloons, and of course the brake! (still waiting on funds to get a sturmey archer drum brake and new front rim!)

speaking of which, with my shotty braking as-of-currently, i almost died the other night. coming down a slight hill intersecting with a busy street, the bolt holding the brake onto the frame snapped in half. only had about 20 feet before the stop sign, and was stupidly wearing flip flops. my only option was either eat it into the curb, or upon quick judgement, blast through the intersection and turn into a parking lot. missed the back end of a car by about 4 feet. -phew- sat and reflected on my life, then went home (uphill from there) and found a heavier duty bolt. but still, took that as a sign to not be out riding at midnight, maybe.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Nice work on the bike, I like the idea of using the drill battery for your lights. I'm thinking of doing the same thing for a 12V Utility light that I have installed on mine. I tried a 14.4 V black and decker light on it and it was as bright as a car headlight, Nice!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA

So jealous of this pic! A great bike in a great city! Can't wait to move there! Then we can terrorize the promenade together! Ha!

You should get some shots down on Wharf St.! Has a great look for that bike.

Caddy429

Jun 16, 2011
Cleveland
what kind of front mount did you use? my engine from dax came with the T mount and i drilled the frame which worked pretty well but the vibrations made the big bolt to crack in half. im just trying to find out if there are better front mount options.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice looking bike, except for that ammo can! lol

You're a lucky fellow!
Glad to hear you escaped the brake nightmare intact.

I do NOT like coaster brakes, and obviously, a brake poorly installed is a false sense of security which might be even worse!

...as soon as the motor runs, brakes become of primary importance!
At least front and rear rim brakes... disk even better!
rc

Evil_Dooher

Apr 26, 2012
Palm Springs, CA
Awesome build! I'm definitely stealing the flipped handle bars trick. I'm still fine tuning my first build as well, a Huffy Nel Lusso ( a cranbrooke with a welded rear rack)with a pirate cycles motor. Just be forewarned, if you don't reinforce that front fender mount where it bolts to the forks, it'll bust loose and stab through your spokes. Real talk, happened to me two Weeks ago. Three broken ribs and a useless pinky later, I just left mine off.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Awesome build! I'm definitely stealing the flipped handle bars trick. I'm still fine tuning my first build as well, a Huffy Nel Lusso ( a cranbrooke with a welded rear rack)with a pirate cycles motor. Just be forewarned, if you don't reinforce that front fender mount where it bolts to the forks, it'll bust loose and stab through your spokes. Real talk, happened to me two Weeks ago. Three broken ribs and a useless pinky later, I just left mine off.
Had my bars flipped and I really liked the look, but could never get comfortable with them. On my old motorcycle with lower bars I could help support myself by gripping the tank with my knees, on the bicycle, no go. So I flipped 'em back. I am now looking for something in between...

I hear you about the fenders. I ditched my front fender when I put on a springer front end, but kept the rear. About 100 miles later, I found 2/3 of the mounts were broken! I got lucky...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Gosh, and I really like the look, and utility of a front fender...
and we continuously have people mention their personal pitfalls with them!

It sure is difficult to see when that front tire is slinging a strip of water straight up into your eyes from a wet street!
Good solid mounting brackets are definitely in order.

Difficult parking your motorized bicycle out in public, isn't it?

Buncha young kids with nothing better to do were telling me they were gonna take mine for a ride when I got to the other side of the park...
In the old days the response would be, "Oh heck, it's not faster than a bullet!"
Nowadays, well... I told 'em "It's just a bicycle, my cell phone call to the PD is a whole lot faster!"

I really don't think there's any effective way to keep people from tampering with these MABs...

But good luck!
rc

PaPa_FoZzY

Nov 23, 2012
Neshoba co. Mississippi
sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I ran across this just a few minutes ago and had to say well done! Great minds must think alike lol because that is exactly like mine except for the handle bar arrangement and I haven't mounted my ammo can yet lol same laid back seat design but I'm still using the stock huffy seat ATM.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I ran across this just a few minutes ago and had to say well done! Great minds must think alike lol because that is exactly like mine except for the handle bar arrangement and I haven't mounted my ammo can yet lol same laid back seat design but I'm still using the stock huffy seat ATM.
Here is another somewhat similar build, its mine. In the first pics I posted, its orange, but if you keep flipping through the thread, you'll see the new paintjob as well as the other mods and upgrades I've done.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Just read this post after being gone for a while. I have been having problems with my stock carb on my Carnny too. Your description of what yours was doing is exactly the same as mine. Just havent done it yet but going to scrap the NT and try something else. Cold now so plenty of time. lol gphil