poulan pro pp4620avx

GoldenMotor.com

kassult

Oct 23, 2010
Wisconsin
So i just bought a 46cc poulan pro pp4620avx and had some questions. I know people have put chainsaws on bikes before and have been looking at other threads, but i have some special concerns. First of all, I want it to be chain driven which leads to the problem of mounting. Also I was wondering how i would put a decent sprocket on the driveshaft. Lastly I know I would have to use a jackshaft but I wouldn't know what sprockets to use. I would like it to have a top speed of around 35mph and i would also like to use a bikes existing rear sprockets so i could have some shifting ability. i found a very unofficial source (ebay listing) saying that its top rpm is 13500. any help would be appreciated.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The rpm listed is no load. 8-9K is probably more like it. The chain drive is possible if the clutch is outboard, a lot of saws are inboard. The engine probably makes close to 3hp, but you will have to find a way to double reduce it (jackshaft). I mounted a Homelite on a gokart, and used the clutch on the saw by modding the drum and carefully centering and welding a #35 sprocket to it. The engine you have would be much easier to deal with as a friction drive, but what you intend is possible if you are inventive.

kassult

Oct 23, 2010
Wisconsin
Im pretty sure mine is inboard, I don't really know what that means but the sprocket is inside of the clutch bell thing so im assuming that is what you mean. What I would like to do is just buy a clutch with a sprocket already attached and swap it in, but I wouldd't know where to look to buy one. I don't want to do a friction drive because of the wear on the tires, plus I just feel like the traction and power would really be lost if I drove through a puddle or something and the tire got wet.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Inboard means the drive teeth are up against the saw case, FDs are not real hard on tires, but you are right about the wet, I just got caught in a shower and I had to ease along til I hit some dry pavement. You have double reduce the drive(jackshaft), why dont you run a fixed sprocket on the saw to a fixed sprocket on the primary side of the reduction, then have a standard chain clutch on the other side to the wheel? Might have to change the clutch springs.

kassult

Oct 23, 2010
Wisconsin
wow i would have never thought of that. I love all of the ingenious ideas people have on this forum. I'll have to pop that clutch off when I have a chance and see what things look like for the drive shaft and go from there.