Briggsbiker Comet Torque converter test ride!

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I have really been borrowing a lot of ideas from your bike build and I am not quite/almost done with the centrifugal clutch belt drive set up, but damn dude, now I gotta start looking for a comet clutch!

Just joking. I really do admire your bike though, and that new clutch sounds like the way to go. Thanks for sharing.

I would like to know how you hooked this up though. The comet clutches that I have looked at all seem to have a chain drive for the final drive to the back wheel. But it seems like you are still running belts. Also, the comet stuff I have seen seem to have a 5/8" shaft for the jackshaft. I am using a 3/4" jackshaft, and I thought it looked like you also had a 3/4" jackshaft in your previous pictures. Did you have to change the jackshaft?

Thanks for the pictures, and help,

Gilbert

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome!!! Com'on! up close an' personal with some pics.

Really, could see the uphill torque and man, she sounds great!

I got a comet 'verter in the box just waiting for a home/bike

briggsbiker

Nov 18, 2010
Riverside, CA
Hey Gilbert thanks! Yeah I keep trying to figure out new ways to improve performance and what not and this really made a difference without doing anything to the motor! On the drive clutch the shaft is a 3/4" and on the driven clutch (the back one) I had a machine shop turn the back shaft down to 5/8" about 2 1/4" in from the end, just wid enough to fit the driven clutch but the pulley going to the back wheel still is a 3/4" shaft. Look for my other forum under diy Briggs kick start motorbike, I posted pics on there!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
BB, that's among the most impressive MAB pics I've seen!
WoW !
the briggs really beats the heck outta the little china motors!!!

AND THE HILL !!!

No flat ground, you live on a HILL !
GREAT torque!

Thanks for posting that video !
rc

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Gilbert so how far along are you on your bike it sounds like you are getting there! Was just curious, you should post some pictures!
Thanks for asking. I feel like I'm getting real close. I finished making a tank for it a couple of weeks ago. I think I finally got the right size belts for it. So I just need to hook up a throttle (not exactly sure how to do that) and get the engine started. I want to change the rod on the engine to a billet one and take off the governor, and I want to paint the bike, but I think I am going to leave those things for later. I just want to ride this thing!

Anyway, the build thread is here The thread is kind of long and I don't have any pictures of the tank yet. I am currently rebuilding the front rim to put in a different brake hub. So when I get the wheel back together I will take pictures of the bike with the tank installed.

Gilbert