I'm lost

GoldenMotor.com

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
I have been reading post all day but to no avail. My bike is an occ schwinn with a new 66cc engine with approximatly 100 miles on it. It has been running pretty goood. Good bottom end a little short on top but I weigh 210lbs. my nexhaust is an extended muffler. stock exhaust I had good top end but poor bottom end.
My problem is it all of a sudden got hard to start and now won't hardly start at all. carb doesn't seem to be plugged, but when you pull plug it isn't very wet. I run plug gap at 28 but if I set at 20 it will start but has very little response , acts like it is bogging and has no power, release throttle and then dies and then won't start. If you let set for a couple hours or so it will start on 2nd pull then dies and that is it no start. I have checked the output of cdi and mag and i think they are normal. any help appreciated. oil mix is approx 50 to 1.
I have also changed plug wire and plug to ngk and also tried champion cj8, and have also tried a new carb. No changes

thanks Mybike

Last edited:

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
You sir have a fuel starvation problem check pull fuel tube off carb test there if you got good fuel there the problem is in your carb take it apart and clean it making sure float moves free and spray out the jet/s with carb cleaner remember safety first when working with carb cleaner always use eye protection it aims for eyes every time

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Adam sir I appreciateyour input. I have tried a brand new carb and no difference and plenty of gas from tank. But I agree it acts like gas starvation.
mybike

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
Its has to be one of 2 other things then dirty as heck exhaust but after 100 miles i doubt it, or a clogged air filter take air filter off and see if it helps if not wit until neighbors are gone and remove exhaust quick rides is all you need don't run without them for long let us know your results

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Kinda sounds like a fuel problem. Sometimes you'll get small paint chips off the tank from twisting the cap on and off and of course it all falls in the tank. Try taking the drain plug out of the float bowl and let it drain into a clean glass jar. See if the flow slows down after a few seconds. if it does, check your float valve needle and the screw it tube that it sets into. What happens is the valve gets partly plugged and lets in fuel slowly. Just enough to start the engine for a second then it will die. Let it set for a while and it will start again, Then die again.
Sorry I'm getting to you late but I've been out working on a couple of my own projects. I've built 35 or 40 Motorized bikes over the past few years and have run into this problem more than a few times. The tanks are painted with a real brittle paint that chips easily. Even if it's a brand new carb all it takes is one tiny piece of s**t to plug it up.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Big Red.
Owner:Fatdaddy's MotoPeds
San Jose, Ca.

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
Sounds more like an air leak. Had a similar situation only to find the piston rings blew and scratched a piece of the piston and cylinder head. Did you check the cylinder?

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
No i haven't checked the cylinder. but I have tried everything else that ha s mentioned in the other post from members.

Thanks for all suggestions guys. I'll trying though.
mybike

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
Nice jeep Terry.

To all that helped, I got my bike running again. Original coil bad, new coil bad, coil off my old motor kit good. Bike runs great !!!!!!!!!!!!.shft.

Thanks mybike