Motor not running

GoldenMotor.com

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
I have a 48cc kit on a huffy. I am still on first gallon of gas and today when riding it made a distinct metallic "boink" sound and stopped working. After reading here I replaced spark plug, checked the head gasket, checked the carburetor and the intake gasket, unplugged the kill switch, yet it won't turn back on? Should I replace the cdi? Not sure if there is a spark. It turns and seems to have compression.

Thanks for any help

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
After playing with it all day, all I could figure out there is a spark and actually very little to no compression, in fact I can roll it around without applying clutch.

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
Zone8cycling has 30 days, I purchased it in early march. Put about 20 miles on the thing at the most. Ran great, now dead. I will contact them but doubt they will even contact me back.

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
I will take a look at the base gasket yet. I believe it is a compression problem. It rolls freely which it obviously shouldn't. Thanks so far

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
So I took the thing apart again. I don't know how I didn't see this the first time. Tip of the piston and the ring were blown off. Also scratched the inside of the cylinder. I don't see why that would happen other than crap of material. Now I really hope that zone8cycling will at least reply, yes I am out of their 30 day window on warranty by like 5 days, but with less than 20 miles on the bike this shouldn't happen.

I got pictures of this too, not sure how to add them on here.

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
I hope the pictures work.

I found the piece of the piston in the expansion chamber, hence the "boink" sound. I am not sure what happened to the chunk of the ring. I hope it isn't under the crankshaft?

Attachments

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
Thanks....will do. I have my fingers crossed that they might see my point and swap an engine for me. Do you think the cylinder is pretty much gone or would a new piston and rings alone do be enough? I don't know if that scratch on the cylinder wall would matter?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The cylinder is toast. Cut the cylinder skirt off of the bottom of it and you will have a cool looking pencil cup.

Edit: Or you can use it to practice porting if you are interested in doing that.

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
So do you think if I order a new cylinder I can still use the cylinder head from the original motor. It was slant head but I assume the cylinders are the same?

Jan 13, 2011
WEST MIFFLIN PA
I'd say top end rebuild, piston, cylinder and head. Wash out bottom end real good.
Read Norms how to sections for some detailed instruction. Port and polish section has the details even if your not running the dremmel.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The head should be re-useable so long as it did not get torn up by any piston bits. They are cheap enough though that replacement should be bought if there is any damage or doubt.

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
I ended up getting a whole new engine from kings'. It was a $30 more than buying just the cylinder head and it was the 66cc so hopefuly I will get to go faster. Of course no response from zone8cycling at all. Won't do business with them again.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Post how it works out. I bought an engine kit from daemon bikes and I need a new engine. The things brand new and it wont start anymore. When it did work, it only ran for 15 minutes and then it would overheat and die.

Last edited:

boss13

Mar 7, 2011
usa
Post how it works out. I bought an engine kit from daemon bikes and I need a new engine. The things brand new and it wont start anymore. When it did work, it only ran for 15 minutes and then it would overheat and die.

I will. Did you go back to more oil rich mixture to break the new engine in? I plan on breaking this new one in right away, so if it dies I can apply some warranty, not like the 30 day joke warranty on motor I got 20 miles out of. I hope to see better results or I will just sell the bike and get out of this hobby, cause that is one pricey toy if one has to buy new something every 20 miles.

I still don't get how the piston blows up like that.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I fixed my bike. The reason it would stop working after 15 minutes is the gas cap does not have a top vent, there are only air holes on the bottom of it, below the rubber seal. I drilled a hole in the top and she keeps running. Just get a waterbottle cap and hot glue it over the hole and drill a hole in the side of that if u want to ride in the rain.