Does an increased fuel flow require a smaller jet?

GoldenMotor.com

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
First of all, my carb is a Dellorto Sha 14.12 running a 56 main jet..

After swapping my almost completely restricted original fuel valve and old fuel line with a similarly sized new 3/16 inch fuel line and sickbikeparts petcock, the bike does not want to run. I installed a brand new spark plug NGK BP6HS for the maiden voyage on clean, open fuel line with more fuel flow so I could do a plug chop and check how the new setup was burning. The plug has about 1/2 mile on it and looks pretty good. It has a light tan color and is slightly damp with fuel. Reading the plug color, I can't make any diagnosis that anything is wrong except it is slightly wet. The plug is just showing what it looks like on choke because it wouldn't run off choke. Gas/oil was mixed right and bought fresh that day.

The spark ignites and runs good on choke but as soon as it goes off choke it runs like a speed demon for about 80 feet and then refuses to ignite the incoming fuel/air charge and bogs out completely.

The bike ran quite well with the more restricted old fuel setup with the exception of bogging out at WOT. Now I feel stupid that I changed things around and got rid of the old fuel valve and line which worked (more or less). The idea gathered from the forum was that my bowl could be running dry at top speed. This is why I upgraded my fuel delivery system. I do have a brand new pod air filter. I know I have heard before that with an increase in fuel flow comes a decrease in jet size or an increase in air flow to compensate? I don't know what else to do besides downsize my jet to hopefully fix this problem. This is where you come in. Any suggestions on changing my jets (to what size) or any other advice that might help get me back on the road?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I am not familiar with Dellorto carbs, but if it uses a float bowl, then no matter what kind of flow you have coming in, the needle valve should close off the incoming fuel flow when the bowl is full.

Maybe the increased fuel flow and pressure is too much for the needle valve to handle, and fuel is leaking past it and overfilling the bowl?

Throw a small hose clamp around the fuel line and tighten it somewhat to created a restricted fuel flow to try to duplicate the previous restricted setup and see what happens.

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
Good idea. I will try restricting the fuel flow and see if I can replicate previous conditions. Also, maybe there's a small chance that when I switched the fuel valve and fuel line a small particle or piece of debris got into the jet and clogged it.

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
I figured it out. When I swapped my fuel line/valve, a bit of crud got into the carburetor and clogged the jet. I cleared it out and voila! Good as new.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
That's great.
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
I have noticed some people post a problem in the forum, and then others offer sugestions/solutions,
then the OP never writes back the outcome. In some cases we never hear from them again!