2.5 hp HF friction drive.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The new engine arrived today. I am trying to get it mounted before I start it, so I don't know how it is yet. The first thing I noticed is that is one heavy mutha. It is going to be difficult to lift but with the right lever and cable angle, it should be doable.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay the engine came today. began making a mount for it. I still plan to lift it off the wheel to act as a clutch. One of big concerns at the moment is the weight of that motor. I weight 25lbs. I hoped that it wouldn't really feel that heavy but it does.

I still have to mount a hinge and the drive wheel, there are lots of things that require some thought.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I had realized how heavy this was I would have done something else. The shipping info from home depoe for the ilfan had the weight at the same 25pounds. Maybe you are just stronger than me lol.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
That thing will be reliable as a timex unless you got a Monday engine. Be sure to use a good roller because these things are strong. Keep it as low as possible to help with balancing the bike especially when you are wheeling it around. Good luck with your build.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The shipping weight on my Lifan was 20 lbs including the box, and tool kit. It was lightened some what(but not much) by the removal of the fuel tank which I didnt need for my build. You got a great engine, you will get it worked out. The little Lifan is just more compact and in my opinion easier to deal with involving bikes.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I had realized how much five pounds really weighed I would have definely have done something. I'm looking for something to use as a roller now. 5/8 is an oddball size tube. Any suggestions. I'm about to go buy some 5/8 hex nuts and work with them,

I was going to go with a hub from a coaster wheel until I realized just much this mutha weighs. Im afraid that much weight hanging off the side will twist it. You know I had that 3.5hp snowblower motor doing this and it was a little heavy but I didn't worry about it. I have got to get back to just seeing this as anyother motor. I do want a spindle that wont twist it off somehow.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got the drive wheel on secure and the engine mounted more or less but I can't get the darn thing to start is there some secret I dont know. I put about half a tank of fuel in it. Then I choked it and turned the switch to on. Set the throttle at about half and pulled and pulled and pulled. nothing. Didn't even try to start.

Any advice would be good. I'm sure I will try again in a few minutes.

I am assuming that - is the on symbol for the power switch. It is for most things made in china.

I stand corrected it did start. I had only put a few ounces of gas in the engine and obviously it was not level so the gas did not go to the carburetor. I filled it up and it started fine. Don't know how it will do I'm not quite finished.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Elmo

I put it on a twenty inch rear wheel and 24 front wheel. I might go to a 24" coaster bike it one comes my way. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the fact that It looks like i'm hauling a steamer trunk around. I'll get past it. I think they tried to cover everything, and it makes the engine look even bigger. I got the lift rigged and it isn't hard at all. I have a few more things I need to do like rig some guides and a throttle, but then it i will be ready to try out. I'm going to ride it like it is the first twenty hours then I'm going to be looking for some help with that governor so expect to see me begging again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you really have to fill the tank up it is isn't sitting level. Heck I used to know that lol. old age takes it's toll.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I went back to the shop to look at the greyhound friction drive and I am wondering. The thing has two throttles. The rear one looks like just for use with fixed throttle applications like generators and stuff. So to control the throttle, so I cable to the front and is the spring there strong enough. that's all thanks.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In addition to the throttle question above tell me where the low oil sensor wire is to disconnect. There are a couple of rolls of wire on the back of the motor around the corner from the on off switch is that it?

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Disconnect both wires from the sensor, reconnect the wire comming from the kill switch to the kill wire from the CDI(coil). If your switch is grounded to the blower housing thats it. If your switch has a seperate ground wire(2 wire switch) you will have to ground the second wire.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I unplugged the black wire and it seems to have fixed the problem. I rode the bike a test mile on this miserable day. It run way strong. it will climb any hill i put it on easily. I need more tension but even so it runs very very well. The one problem I am going to have to deal with is that the exhaust is right under the seat. Very uncomfortable. I raised the seat but it didn't completely eliminate the problem. I guess I will have to devise a shield for something. I cant move the motor.

I wonder if I could reverse the exhaust. I might have to take a look if it gets to be too much. I am pleased with the amount of power the engine has for sure.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well i fixed it till it will never run again I fear lol. Actually it hit a bump and died and never came back. That was in my drive headed out to the road. It had stopped every few blocks and had to be restarted before that.

After the last one I cut all the wires from the kill switch. I can use the choke to stop it. That's what I did the one time it ran after that. Now the darn thing wont start. I'm beginning to lose my patience with this thing. I'm going to let it and me cool off over night then go at it tomorrow. I might have just flooded it. I don't know enough about engines to know what I have done. But other then cutting the wires and putting a cable on the throttle on the carb, I haven't done anything to the motor, but mount it.

Tomorrow is a new day.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As is usually the case I had all kinds of trouble at first then it began to weed itself down. It looks as though it was all caused by the fact that the engine on a bike is never going to sit level. That being the case the fuel tank will not drain right on that motor. I have a tank from a different engine that will take care of it. Tomorrow It will get changed.

"Then I have to somehow address a muffler issue. The muffler exhausts right onto my butt. It can get very uncomfortable' I have some issues with that to work out as well. but first it is the gas feed problem to solve.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
As I expected last night I tilted the gas tank this morning and it did perfectly. The throttle cable does not work smoothly but I will get that worked out I'm sure. if you use this engine the gas tank drains from the center so it has to be level or close to it. That and the most likely oil signal from the same thing, the engine not level have been my only problems. I rode it a mile this morning and it didn't miss a beat. The stiff throttle cable is my only problem and like I said that isnt much of an issue.

One thing I notice about this engine over all the others I have used is that it feels substantial. It feels like it will be around a while.

The exhaust is going to be an issue though. It blows right on my back. I need to route it away from me but I don't know how it is on the wrong side of the motor. It's in front not in the rear.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I went back to the shop to look at the greyhound friction drive and I am wondering. The thing has two throttles. The rear one looks like just for use with fixed throttle applications like generators and stuff. So to control the throttle, so I cable to the front and is the spring there strong enough. that's all thanks.
Check the last post on this page maybe it will give you some ideas. http://motorbicycling.com/f36/finishing-greyhound-build-12738-4.html
Also you can cut the muffler off the head pipe and turn the pipe down and weld a piece of pipe on it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The throttle issue isn't much of an issue for me but that muffler is going to have to be fixed pretty soon. I am getting blistered.

I wondering if i can cut the pipe weld on a piece that will let me just put on one of those briggs baloney mufflers.