Pro Mix 2-stroke oil: Yes or No?

GoldenMotor.com

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I'm getting close to finishing up the engine kit install my bike, I have a few things to tidy up beforehand. I bought some 2-stroke oil from Lowes while I was getting some hardware, it's called, Pro Mix Premium The "One" Mix.

According to the bottle: ProMix 2-Cycle Engine Oil has significant advances in technology that allows it to mix safely in any of today's 2-cycle engines calling for 50:1, 40:1, 32:1, and 16:1 ratios.

The bottle is 2.6oz so physically it makes up a 50:1 mix. I've read that you can use less oil with synthetics, this is a synthetic blend. Should I go ahead and use this stuff?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
TBH while I don't think it much matters, I've always wondered at the synthetic "blends" o_O

The way I figure it, go full synthetic or not at all ;) I'm a fan of the Amsoil variants myself - but these engines have proved they don't really care too much, provided they have some kinda oil in there somewheres lol

Best bet that seems to work for all? Go with a quality brand & w/e the oil manufacturer recommends for their mix or a lil more if yer paranoid. I've happily run from 32:1 all the way as thin as 100:1 (obv with oil designed for that extreme ratio) w/o any problems at all - BUT I do keep an eye on things.

That 16:1/20:1 stuff in the kit instructions is jus' crazy-talk BTW, most likely due to using motor oil instead of 2 stroke oil o'er there - they may not have as ready an access to high-end quality synthetics as we do *shrug*