Throttle not working

GoldenMotor.com

NiteRider

May 21, 2010
California
OK, so hopefully you guys can give me some insight as to what my problem is..........my bike has still not been completely ready for riding yet, although I've taken it for a few test rides around the block. I have a Broped 80cc kit.

My throttle cable just broke, and I replaced it with a new one. My throttle worked before, but now, nothing happens when I twist it. You might think that the new throttle cable isn't hooked up properly, but I am pretty sure it is hooked up correctly. The throttle handle twists back, and it pulls the cable to open the valve in the carb just like it is supposed to.

The engine kicks in when I release the clutch to start it, but nothing happens when I twist the throttle. Hunter from Broped said to check the wiring, which I did, and I'm pretty sure that is all connected good as well. Unless it is something inside the ignition box?

Hunter also said it could be the Chinese spark plug.....I looked at that, and it didn't look burnt or anything like that. I was told to buy an NGK B5HS, but the tip of the B5HS is a little different, and it won't fit in the connecter.........ANY ADVICE ON SPARK PLUGS OR IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY BE? :-||

Thanks guys.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's not the problem. Look inside your carb and MAKE SURE the slide is being lifted by the cable. If it starts and runs, but has no throttle response, I don't think it would be from a bad plug. Bad plugs make for hard starting and rough running, but you'd still get some throttle response.

If you want to go with an NGK, just unscrew the cap on the top and it should work for you.

Hillbilly

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
When you say the engine kicks in, does it start and idle and the throttle is just not responding? Or does it never actually start (i.e. no spark)?

NiteRider

May 21, 2010
California
yeah the engine would start up and idle for a second, and then die because the throttle wasn't doing anything. Actually, the throttle was working the other day when I took it for a test ride, though it took a few seconds for it to respond. I checked the valve again, and it is working fine. I think maybe the problem was that the little switch on the carb (don't remember the name for it) was not all the way down.....? So it was running for a few seconds until the chain came off to due a totally different problem. But hopefully the throttle is functioning correctly now.

Hillbilly

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
That lever sounds like it is the choke. just use it to start, and then push it all the way down, or it will do all kinds of fun weird stuff

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey just a question for you....when you replaced your cable could you have actually messed up the clip on the pin on top of the carb????there should be a pin down the center of the slide....the E clip should should be at the notch second from the top....the other washer(has a split in it) should be on top of that with the spring pushing on top of it....the "split" is to line up with your cable....get the bike ready to ride cause im wondering now if your trying to start it on the stand....you got to help us out here...everybody here is on your team....dont throw in the towel the fun is about to start

Hillbilly

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
When you said your chain popped off, you were talking about your engine drive chain right? I use to have the biggest problem with that. Then I read on here that guys are drilling a little hole, and putting a bolt through the tensioner and the frame. the pressure of the chain will sometimes tweak that tensioner immediately... no matter how tight you have it on there...

... but before you do that... make sure you have everything right: sprocket centered and true, and tensioner in place.

Another tip to help with the chain, that I’ve never seen in any instructions, is to twist (bend) the chain tensioner. your frame is at an angle, and is not parallel with your chain. You may need to twist the chain tensioner plate (long one) a little bit to help guide chain straight onto the sprocket.

then once your sure you have everything nice and straight, and true, and perfect, drill that hole before you ride.

NiteRider

May 21, 2010
California
oh don't worry, I'm not about to throw in the towel...I literally NEED to get it running so I can find work, haha. This is my first time building one of these bikes, so some setbacks are expected (actually, Murphy's Law has taken effect during the course of this project).

noco: I'll check the pin assembly again to make sure everything is put together right.
Hillbilly: are you saying the choke level should be up when I start it?

And for the chain issue, I was talking about the engine drive chain. it's actually more of an issue with the tensioner than it is the chain. There is already a hole with a bolt through it to hold the tensioner to the frame, but maybe I drilled the hole too soon. i've had to change the angle of the tensioner and add washers to get the wheel to line up perfectly with the chain. But obviously it still wasn't 100% secure because the chain pressure pulled it inward and it got caught in the wheel spokes, tearing the wheel off and a spoke as well....

So now I have to order another tensioner, and won't be able to try it again for a few days...

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
You also have to tun the idle screw clockwise a little to turn idle up higher so when engine is started it will stay running. Also have choke up when starting,unless its hot outside or engine is already warm from riding. If engine wants to stop right away give throttle,put choke down,and or turn idle screw clockwise.

Secure that new tensioner.

Hillbilly

May 21, 2010
Tennessee
hopefully you’ll get it this time.... the tensioners are crap... but you gotta use them.... just make sure you have that chain pretty tight, and that the tensioner feeds the chain onto the sprocket where the teeth of the sprocket aren’t touching either side of the chain, and that it feeds straight through the wheel on the tensioner (may need to twist the arm like I said).... then drill it into place.... good luck man... keep us posted