Gas Leaking

GoldenMotor.com

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Hi Guys,
I'm back after a long winter. Anyhoo, my bike ran fine all last fall. And I had it out about 10 times this spring. Yesterday I drove it to work and it died on me. It just sputtered out, like it wasn't getting any gas. So during lunch I emptied the fuel tank, and cleaned the fuel filter which did look a bit clogged. The stuff that was clogging it was "pieces" of the fuel tank liner. Reinstalled it filled it with gas. And she still wouldn't start. Then I noticed gas was just flowing like crazy out of the carb where the filter and screen is. I won't have a chance to check it out until Saturday, but was hoping someone might have some insight on what the problem is.
I walked and pedeled a bit home last night. 6 1/2 miles of hills. It wasn't fun, but at least it was nice out! :) It took me an hour and a half to get home, just b4 it got dark (I live in the middle of nowhere in the woods). PS Its a 48cc Grubee Starfire.
Thanks in Advance!
Joe

Last edited:

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Well, I tapped on the float bowl, checked the inlet needle, checked the float, it floats, made sure the pin that goes on the float "C" part is in correctly. And its still leaking gas out of the back. Its gotta be plugged up somewhere, but not sure where. Last night I woke up and this came to mind, one thing I have to check is the part where the gas line hooks up too. I did take that off when I was at work. Maybe I didn't screw that all the way back in, and when the float goes up it doesn't push that pin high enough to stop the gas. But I'm thinking its clogged somewhere. If you guys know where it might be clogged, I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully I can work on it some more after work today. Doncha just love it when your hands smell like gas for days :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Apache,
Good to see you back. Venice is on the right track. Sounds like there still might be dirt or something interfering with the float needle and seat. I doubt there is a problem with the float level. Once set it is rare to see it go out of adjustment. Let us know what you find.
Tom

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Yep,, somethings gotta be plugged up somewhere. I'll haveta take it apart as much as I can and check it out some more. I just hope I get it all back together again. HA! I haven't removed the throttle cable from the carb yet. Maybe there's something plugging it up there somewhere. I'll let ya know!
Thanks very much!
Joe

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
I fixed it! :)
The original problem was the clogged gas filter. But when I was fixing that at work during lunch, I also took off the brass gas inlet piece to see if that was clogged as well, and "thought" I screwed it back in all the way. The past few days I was trying to fix it, I thought the carb was clogged somewhere, a logical explination for the gas leaking out of the back of the carb. Then 2 nights ago, for whatever reason, I woke up in the middle of the night and thought of the brass gas inlet, and said, maybe I didn't screw it all the way back in. Because I didn't have the right size wrench for that with me at work. So last night I took the carb apart again, because I was thinking it has to be clogged somewhere. I took it apart, didn't see any dirt or anywhere it could be clogged but flushed it with SeaFoam (great stuff btw), and then remembered my thought about the gas inlet. Sure enough it was loose,, way loose. I tightened it up with a wrench put everything back together let the gas flow & whala no more gas pouring out of the back! Because the gas inlet wasn't screwed in all the way, gas just kept pouring through and out the back because the pin didn't get floated up high enough to stop the gas. So,,,,, never underestimate those thoughts you get when you wake up in the middle of the night dnut

ryanstoyz

Mar 28, 2010
colorado
I am glad you got it fixed I am right now having the same problem on my bike it started just the other day. I got this bike used and with out a fuel filter. I know after i get this fixed i am going to go get a fuel filter but what should I start to take apart first if there is dirt in it holding something open

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
The first thing would be the inlet needle. Which is what the guys in this thread recomended. You can also check the brass gas inlet piece. Just make sure you screw it all the way back in, like I did not :)Norman has a GREAT thread "Carburetor picture show how to install & rebuild". Thats what I used for refrence. http://motorbicycling.com/f4/carburetor-pictures-how-install-rebuild-195.html

Be careful when to take the float bowl off too. With mine the brass C shaped part that the float pushes up comes out easy (at least on mine it is), and its easy to loose the pin that holds it in, as well as the float needle.

Good luck, and enjoy the smell of gas on your hands :) There is a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl,, but I didn't use that. Also if you take the throttle cable out, remember to readjust it. I forgot once, and the bike started up and went screaming down the hill from my house.

Oh I didn't mention. The bike is running fine again!

Last edited:

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
PS. There "should" be a fuel filter in the tank. Empty the tank, and unscrew the piece that goes into the tank. There should be a fuel filter attached to that.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Yes, do not use the inline fuel filter in the fuel shutoff valve if you haven't cleaned the inside of a new gas tank with pebbles or metal bb's. Instead, use a larger inline fuel filter as part of the line that feeds your carb.

Rust and crud in new fuel tanks is a common issue and is one of the many newbie build tips listed as a single thread on this and the other forum as a must do as part of a build.