Looking for a wide one piece crank

GoldenMotor.com

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Does anyone have a source for a wide one piece crank. I need one to replace the original crank on my Schwinn Beach Point. I'm installing a four stroke and don't think the 5" wide crank will clear.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I got one from BE and was really pleased with it. Good, hefty piece. When I installed it, I replaced the bearing cages backwards with the ball bearings facing out and promptly destroyed them. So remember, always protect your balls. Keep em facing in.

wut?

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I got the wide crank but the engine and reduction unit was still too wide so I ended up heating and bending the wide crank even wider. The Gasbike $199 kit is slightly over ten inches wide. Unfortunately the wide crank didn't come with a chainwheel. The wide crank takes a hex hole in the chainwheel while the original Schwinn crank needs a round center hole and another for the drive pin. I did it the hard way,drew out the hex on the wheel and hand filed it out. With half an hour of filing the chainwheel fit the crank. I installed the 44 tooth sprocket to replace the 50 tooth. The bike still starts out from a standing start well so I could probably could have gone down to a 40T. I might try one later because the engine still sounds like it's turning a lot faster than it needs to. Still have a good bit of vibes to tame. I was quite surprised that this set up has so much more vibration and noise than my two stroke bike.

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I got one from BE and was really pleased with it. Good, hefty piece.
I just got one last week from them. Looks good too. It will be going on the Harbor Freight build. The small crank on their now does not give enough leverage on the coaster brake. I have a front brake too but it would be nice if the rear brake worked a little. With the wide full size crank I will have more rear brakes.

Jim

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Yep, I had to do both on my four stroke build. The wide one piece crank wasn't wide enough so I had to heat and bend it to gain about an inch and a half on each side. After riding both bikes I like the two stroke bike best. The centrifugal clutch and being able to start out without pedaling on the four stroker is nice but this version has a lot of vibration and is noiser than my two stroke. I will be making up a better motor mount and adding some rubber isolators on the engine mounts, hopefully this will help tame the beast. Going from a 50T sprocket to a 44T didn't do much for it, might need to drop down to a 40T, should work okay because there doesn't seem to be much difference in starting from a stop with either sprocket.

elliott61611

Aug 8, 2011
East Peoria, Il
I got the wide crank but the engine and reduction unit was still too wide so I ended up heating and bending the wide crank even wider. The Gasbike $199 kit is slightly over ten inches wide. Unfortunately the wide crank didn't come with a chainwheel. The wide crank takes a hex hole in the chainwheel while the original Schwinn crank needs a round center hole and another for the drive pin. I did it the hard way,drew out the hex on the wheel and hand filed it out. With half an hour of filing the chainwheel fit the crank. I installed the 44 tooth sprocket to replace the 50 tooth. The bike still starts out from a standing start well so I could probably could have gone down to a 40T. I might try one later because the engine still sounds like it's turning a lot faster than it needs to. Still have a good bit of vibes to tame. I was quite surprised that this set up has so much more vibration and noise than my two stroke bike.
Raw motors has the wide one piece crank for 39.95. I had a helluv a time finding one but I finally did.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Modify one piece crank (Re: Looking for a wide one piece crank)

Heat it up, bend it out.
Ok so I'm bringing a thread back from the dead...laff

How much heat would one have to apply to a one piece crank to do this? What could be the down side of doing this?

Yea I know you can buy wide one piece cranks or wide 3piece ones. Just seeing if I can save a little cash.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
I can't find anyone to comit to guaranteeing that their wide crank will fit my Schwinn Jaguar so I'm interested in the answer to this question too. My son has my cutting torch about 300 miles away and isn't making a trip anytime soon to bring it to me so will a MAP torch make theses things hot enough without taking all day?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I heated them at the bottom & bent them out, then heated them close to the pedal end & bent them back in. It's just guess work to get them right.