magneto problem solved

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
After much testing and switching parts I found out why my bike had no spark - see my other post "No Spark by bluenosegoat".
I was about to give up and started to check for continuity, just to make sure my wires were okay. I found on my sons bike (good running bike with no problems) that the white wire had continuinty to the ground. My mag did not. Looking closer and remembering that i read here that the little tiny wire coming out of the wrap might be a problem and sure enough it was! I had continuity to the wire but not where the wire should have been soldered to the magneto/ground. It must have been a weak solder to begin with and with some bouncing around came loose. Simple fix, just a bit of soldering and back on the road! I've already ordered 2 of each (mag and cdi) so I guess I'll have spare parts, only bummer is that coulda gone towards my shift kit!
I guess checking the manufacture's assembly is a very vital step to trouble shooting. I've spent hours reading and probing to find one tiny wire causing all my troubles!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations Blue,
Wish more guys would try a little harder to find their problems. They would appreciate their efforts so much if they did. Ride safe, have fun.
Tom

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thanks guys and a big thanks to this forum and all its members and sponsers! So much information here. I think this forum makes the hobby so much more enjoyable. To me half the fun of owning a MB is working on it/maintaining it, I wish I would've done this sooner! Finally getting my 16 year old son to learn some mechanical abilities (straight A kid but not much for tinkering). He even helped me put a new exhaust on his Uncles car last night with out being asked! "hey dad can I use the cutting torch?" Thanks for all the support and information!