Dogs

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
drn2Have you been chased by dogs and how do you deal with it? Yesterday I went for a ride thtu the countryside and rode down a dead end road that I had not ridden a bike on before. I think that every house had at least 2 dogs and every one of them wanted to chase me and did. I could outrun most of them but there was a big brown dog that could run at least 24 mph. He also wanted to have a taste of my leg. Squirted him with water bottle and caused him to slow a little. On the way back I stopped and cut a switch about 5' long and when he came after me again I gave him a hard swat with the switch. He fell down and skidded along the pavement and that ended the race.
Elmo

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Dogs chase things....it's the people who own them and don't take care or keep an eye on them that need to be hit with a stick.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dogs chase things....it's the people who own them and don't take care or keep an eye on them that need to be hit with a stick.
Amen. Dogs, like kids, need parental supervision. I've seen a few rug rats that I'd like to take a stick to. Probably couldn't hit a dog but I could sure swat a few of those little indisciplined screamers I've seen at the supermarket and restaurants. Then go for the parents.
I've never been chased by a dog on my bike. I'm not sure what I'd do if he started grabbing at my pant leg. Maybe start carrying puppy treats in your pocket and drop them if Bowser starts getting aggressive?
Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
....of course I usually just stop and talk to the dogs, then the "owners" come out and I end up talking to them, go figure.

The best way to get a dog to stop chasing you is to stop "running", since that all the dog knows you are doing. "I see it, and it's running, so I have to chase it...".

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i chased a dog yesterday. some lady with a car fulla kids also had a big dog. as they went by me the dog was barking at me like crazy, the kids and the mom were laughing at me.

i caught them at the light and sat there revving my bike right next to them, with the dog half way out the window trying to get me. the kids were trying to get it inside so they could roll up the window, but the dog wasn't havin' it.

it was a looooong light, too.

when the light changed, i stayed right next to them in the bike lane, up to about 40mph, when the lady finally backed off. i think she had to, that dog was all over the car.

stupid people...

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I love most dogs, Ive always had at least one and once I had seven at one time. I swatted that one with a switch, not a stick and only to keep him from taking a chunk out of my leg. Most dogs can be bluffed but every once in awhile you find one that its either you or him. I agree with you that it is the owners fault mostly. I have never had a dog that would bite someone unless that someone was threatening us. A good dog is better than most people.
Elmo

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
i chased a dog yesterday. some lady with a car fulla kids also had a big dog. as they went by me the dog was barking at me like crazy, the kids and the mom were laughing at me.

i caught them at the light and sat there revving my bike right next to them, with the dog half way out the window trying to get me. the kids were trying to get it inside so they could roll up the window, but the dog wasn't havin' it.

it was a looooong light, too.

when the light changed, i stayed right next to them in the bike lane, up to about 40mph, when the lady finally backed off. i think she had to, that dog was all over the car.

stupid people...

What's really funny is to make real good eye contact with the dog then show him your teeth LOL

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i love dogs... i think i had about 9 of them at one time...

one dog chased my R/C monster truck, stopped, sniff the nitro... and the owner took hold of the dog...

one dog bit me while i was walking, it was very aggravated, then i saw a dead puppy on the side of the road... :( no wonder the mother was so mad... it wants to bite everything it sees... however, the bite was harmless...

one dog chased me on my MB, there was an intersection, so i stopped, it also stopped chasing...

i heard vinegar is good to repel dogs, you might want to have some, if this kind of thing happens too often... :D spray a little on your shoes or pants...

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I had a neighbor with a pair of pit bulls that was mean as snakes...they got ahold of a cat and I hit em with a landscaping timber didn't even phase em...them can be devil dogs for sure. The vet said ya gotts to hit em right behind the skull to sever the spinal cord...desparate move but if the thing had a cat or especially a kid ya got to do something quick.

PS. I really love animals I've never put a dog down like this.

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
Aside from the untrained loud little lap dogs and energetic ones that love a chase, drug dealers here like their dogs aggressive. And for some reason the cheep rope or ground anchor chains always seem to come loose when I'm around.. 110lb Rottweilers and Presas aren't fun to race.
I just bought a spring airsoft gun from shortyusa for the occasion- can also remove the orange tip (illegal) if you anticipate leaving your bike in bad areas.

they carry anything from skin-breakers to tiny pocket plinkers like this
Airsoft Guns SHORTY USA

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
haha ok small dogs are fast iv had one chase me at 26mph on my one speed beach cruiser that had no motor on by the way haha iv been chased by a German Shepard to i was scared outa my mind!

laff