Terminal Affliction?

GoldenMotor.com

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Well,shortly after celebrating 1000 hard miles on my boy go fast 70cc.in 3 months,I'm afraid she throwing in the towel.
First I noticed thick black oil under the motor after setting over night and at first thought it was coming from the exhaust.Then the speed at which vibration begins began to drop.From 27 to 22 MPH.Now I notice the leak seems to be coming from behind the drive sprocket.Broken seal maybe? Lot of ominous noise as well.
I ordered a new lower unit from Dax which I plan to run while attempting to rebuild the first .Anyone else experience these symptoms.Thanks,Ron

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Sounds like something not good is going on. Maybe when you get it tore down it won't be anything major............................

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
This might help when you rebuild it. Or to find the bad part. Sounds like a shaft seal- there are two I think... (no. 14?)

Last edited:

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Bikeguy:Thanks for the link.I know there are some seals in there somewhere from Norman's rebuild thread.I found this diagram which doesn't show them Clutch Assembly
I should have said in my first post that I ordered the complete motor from Dax minus the rest of the kit.So I will be up and running while I pester you guys with silly questions.I saw where Dax bumped his kit price $50.00,so I jumped on the spare motor before increase trickles down.Thanks Ron

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
sisdavid
I would think the problem involves the seals ,bearings or both.The link I posted above list individual parts with price.Although they don't list seals.
Clutch Assembly
I have an extra set of rings,but I don't think thats the problem.Heck,I just figured I'd ask Norman.Ron

makoman1860

Jun 6, 2008
sisdavid
I would think the problem involves the seals ,bearings or both.The link I posted above list individual parts with price.Although they don't list seals.
Clutch Assembly
I have an extra set of rings,but I don't think thats the problem.Heck,I just figured I'd ask Norman.Ron

Ron,
I would venture to guess your jackshaft bearing is going south, all the kits I have came with cruddy china shielded bearings, fairly easy to replace with sealed SKF units you can get from any local bearing company. The only seals in that engine are on the crank, and they are most likely shot as well, but are probably not the root cause of your problem.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Mako,
Thanks for the info.I made a copy of your 20 point rebuild post.If I manage to get all that done,it should be much better than new.Ron