Forum Stats Comparison

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Ok, so I have been wondering why there are so many performance parts for the other things like Gopeds, and pocketbikes, compared to what we most have. And hearing Manic Mechanic is closing shop, we're going to have even less. But it seems to me that, because most of the engines that are available in the market today are really lousy to begin with, that it's a loosing battle, that fewer people are getting into this wonderful hobby... So the question is, if there would be more people into this hobby, would we be getting more performance parts? or should we have better engines and kits to get more people into this? then again I may be wrong with this stats thing since maybe most of the people who have MB's don't have internet access... just some thoughts...

Results of the forum stats comparison:

Bike forum:
Threads: 551,907, Posts: 9,453,721, Members: 169,178, Active Members: 16,720

Goped Forum:
Threads: 237,985, Posts: 3,111,036, Members: 30,644, Active Members: 2,525

Pocket bikes
Threads: 47,649, Posts: 411,975, Members: 47,095

Motorized Bicycle
Threads: 10,791, Posts: 113,189, Members: 13,822

I hope I'm not violating any forum policy or restrictions...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
In the larger scheme of things, these HT kits are a relatively "new kid on the block" and as such it takes time, a LOT of time for things like aftermarket bits to evolve. So much depends on the original manufacturer too. Things like gopeds and pocket bikes are also a simple matter of buy it and go - so they will always be slightly more popular than something you'd actually hafta build yourself.

I really do think that the HT kits are increasing in popularity - but oddly enough it seems the vast majority of those that would tinker with engines actually aren't 'puter geeks. As that seems to be the case - forum statistics can be misleading, they only really reflect the relative health of that forum and has little to do with the hobby.

As I mentioned before - anything you can just buy and be done with will be more popular amongst the masses than anything that needs effort on your part, I'd imagine that goes hand-in-hand with forum usage. The "buy n'go" crowd is far more prone to 'puter use and skews the stats. Also with motorized bicycle kits, our rawest n00b who's still managed to get his kit together knows FAR more about his bike than the vast majority of goped owners and that would actually reduce forum activity - believe it or not lol

We don't get too many askin' where or what the spark plug is :p

Website health, popularity, and activity is... well an odd thing. There are so many factors to consider and little of has to do with the hobby itself - it has a lot to do with demographics, crosslinking, and general reputation... and lets not forget advertising lol If you really want some interesting figures check out: Alexa the Web Information Company and do some comparisons. I'm happy to say it looks like we're smokin' that "other place that shall not be named" BTW ;)

Insofar as the relative health of our hobby - you'd hafta ask Jiangyan YuanDong about their overall sales, it'd be the only accurate way to tell. There's still a HUGE discrepancy between the interwebs and this so-called "real world" I keep hearin' about :D

edit: oh right, of the above stats you posted the only one that really means much is Active Members, so in that light we're doin' really well...
dance1

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
But you have to be something of a geek to buy a kit. I personally have never seen a kit anywhere but on line.

rockvoice

Apr 6, 2009
glendale california
For me (especially being in california) i'm glad they are not so mainstream(though i see more and more every day). I don't think the kits are lousy either, time and care put into the builds and they can be dependable and more importantly Fun.

I Good to have people building and selling some aftermarket parts but not so good to have too many.
this whole hobby is about DIY and to figure out performance mods on our own.