2 stroke vs 4 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
i dunno about that. i've had my 66cc 2 stroker for 3 months now, and i ride it everywhere at full throttle, city traffic, idle at lights, etc.

there's a few stretches of road around here where i can go 5 miles in a bike lane without stopping, and i'm raging at 35+mph the whole time.

monday, i rode 10+ miles, stopped for a smoke, rode another ten, got a haircut, 10 more, smoke, then 10 more home.

40 mile round trip, 80 degrees out, at WOT, just to get a haircut.

and that's a pretty normal ride. i've done 80 miles in one day, just raging through backroads all day, again, at WOT.

i keep waiting for this china bomb to explode and take my kneecaps with it, but it just begs for more.
One of the places I remember reading about "possible" engine damage from longer rides (over 30 miles on 1 ride) was on Spooky Tooth I think it was...and Venus, I thought I was the only one who knew that. :)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've read more then once, longer rides on a 2 could damage the motor. Definitly not on a 4.
That's just false propaganda put out by the 'pro 4-stroke' religious organizations to defame 2-strokes, & bring home a fasle victory in the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke wars!! ;) rotfl

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the way i look at it, in three months i've probably gone a couple thousand miles, most of them flat-out at WOT. seriously. if it wasn't for stop lights, i wouldn't even need a throttle. i could just pin the carb wide open and go till i run out of gas.

no money spent on repairs, and maybe 50 bucks spent on fuel. no money spent on insurance, registration, or a license. some money spent on bike upgrades, but nothing extreme.

if my motor died today, i'd have another one up and running in a few hours, for the same price as an oil change and an alignment on a car.

to me, "longevity" means, "have i gotten my money's worth?"

and the answer is, "yes. i sure have."

i'm not arguing about 2 vs. 4, i'm just trying to clear up the reliability issue, at least from my standpoint.

but i think the 4 stroke bikes look like your truck broke down and you have to get your honda generator to your house painting job somehow...;)

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Only thing I can think of why that would happen would be heat and that dosen't make alotta sense anyway. Would hear an issue like that plenty here if it were true.

davilajoel

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando
i guess i want to buy a 2 stoke engine. one that uses the gears that are already on the bike. can anyone tell me if there is a 2 stroke engine that i can buy that will use the 21 gears on the bike. so it will ride easier?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
robert, just take the little dog tag off the motor and tell the cops it's a 49cc. unless you've got two motors side by side on a bench, he's not gonna notice, even if he has one himself.

and davilajoel, look on your left for the sick bike parts ad. they make a jackshaft so you can use your gears.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Only thing I can think of why that would happen would be heat and that dosen't make alotta sense anyway. Would hear an issue like that plenty here if it were true.
we had a mini heat wave here a few weeks back with temps in the mid 90's. i still hammered on my bike, and it was just fine.

it does seem to run better when it's colder out, though.

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
My Dad has a 66cc engine and I have a 48cc. We ride together frequently, and we decided what to do if the cops ever stop us and ask what size his engine is, sense it does look bigger next to mine. We would tell them that it's 49cc but it's made to look bigger so that it will look right in his XYZ chopper frame. It does look good on that bike BTW. ;)

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
I am a 2 stroke guy, but I just recently picked up a bulk of 4 strokes and am about to take my first look at these engines. I am hoping for a quieter ride with not much difference in power but I gotta tell ya this engine is going to have to blow me away to make me drop my 4 motorbikes with 2 strokes in em!

davilajoel

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando
where can i buy a 66cc 2 stroke engine thats made in japan that will work with a shift kit and has durable parts? i want an engine that is black too.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

o_O

erp - thatsa 49er, my bad :D (it IS however an oil-injected 5 speed, they ROCK! TB they only imported them for one year - 1982) :(

For the money yer prolly best off with a HT from ThatsDax and a shift kit from Sick Bike Parts... you could hunt up a Morini, they're Italian not Japanese - but to my knowledge they're the best motor out there for what you've described *shrug*

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Im a 2 stroke man all the way....If I wanted to ride a minibike around I would get a 4 stroke....Man they are ugly....I seen a 4 stroke dax bike up close and it was a center frame mount and he did a custom install to make it look better and it was still ugly(guy did a bang up job) and I still hated it....
Was cool to see one in person for the first time though....
2 strokes look like a old school motor cycle if set up right(cruiser frame type)....Personally I dont like any engine on a mountain bike,just looks tacky if you ask me.....Hope I didnt offend any of our 2 stroke members with a mountain bike....
John-John

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I have my motor on a mountain bike and I am not offended in the least John. You must have a very keen sense about what looks good or not so good. If you are nor curently into fashion there is much money to be had in that field. :) :) Hopefully no offense. :)