oops?

GoldenMotor.com

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Funny thing happened on the way to work today. About halfway there, the decible level of my engine doubled, and the vibes got crazy. I thought my muffle came loose, it was so loud, but not so much. Frame is fine, wheels are tight. rode it home, same same. My wife heard me about an 1/8th mile away. Plus on the way home it was acting like it was going to cut out on me. The revs weren't consistant. I'm wondering if maybe I might have damaged my exhaust valve. i'm running 40:1 with some sythetic oil. All I have to do is add about a half an ounce to the tank to make it 32:1. That may be to little to late. I am going to check the easy stuff first. Make sure the muffler doesn't rattle, double check the carb. The thing I don't understand is why my chain would be slacker than normal. Will check the rear axle and make sure it didn't slip, thought I don't think so. The bike runs, but it is way louder than normal and the vibes are over the top. If the vavle is shot, well, I got a back up engine I guess.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
sojudave,
If you're running a 2 stroke motor it doesn't have valves. This might sound silly but did you check to see if the end cap came off the muffler? The loss of back pressure might give you a different 'feel' to the bike. Check the head gasket and take close look at the exhaust manifold gasket. Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yer gonna have a hellofa time finding a valve on a two stroke - exhaust or otherwise, part of their charm is they don't need such silly "extra" parts lol

All I can think of that matches all of the symptoms (some may have nothing to do with the others) is that your engine mounts may be loose. That would cause excessive vibration and could froth the fuel resulting in the loss of power and irregular running and explain the loose chain as well - particularly if the engine shifted a little the frame.

The "suddenly louder" bit is a lil odd... unless it's the chain hitting the cover due to being out of alignment - if it's louder exhaust and yet the pipe is undamaged, has a good seal on the gasket and the baffles didn't fall out... I honestly couldn't guess lol

Tom beat me to it o.o +1 fer typin faster than me lol

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Yer gonna have a hellofa time finding a valve on a two stroke - exhaust or otherwise, part of their charm is they don't need such silly "extra" parts lol

All I can think of that matches all of the symptoms (some may have nothing to do with the others) is that your engine mounts may be loose. That would cause excessive vibration and could froth the fuel resulting in the loss of power and irregular running and explain the loose chain as well - particularly if the engine shifted a little the frame.

The "suddenly louder" bit is a lil odd... unless it's the chain hitting the cover due to being out of alignment - if it's louder exhaust and yet the pipe is undamaged, has a good seal on the gasket and the baffles didn't fall out... I honestly couldn't guess lol

Tom beat me to it o.o +1 fer typin faster than me lol

See that's what I like about this site over "the other one." I'm pretty knowledgeable, but there's still things I don't know. After looking at it, the end cap came off of the muffler. That pretty much explains it all except for the chain. I got a spare muffler and I'll tack weld the end cap on it this time.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Find the chain problem fo'sho'! It may be nothing, but it didn't loosen up for no reason. I think it was coincidental that the two problems occured near the same time.

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Louder? How about your exhaust gasket? Check that too.. :)
Nope, not the gasket. I took my spare muffler and tacked it together only to discover that it's way to long and gets in the way of the pedal. When I did that I checked the gasket. Gonna go for a walk today and see if I can find the muffler cap. *note to self: CHECK YOUR FREAKING BOLTS!!!!!!!*

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Nope, not the gasket. I took my spare muffler and tacked it together only to discover that it's way to long and gets in the way of the pedal. When I did that I checked the gasket. Gonna go for a walk today and see if I can find the muffler cap. *note to self: CHECK YOUR FREAKING BOLTS!!!!!!!*
Oh i see.. Don't ride it till you find the cap lol.. Good luck finding the muffler cap mate.. :)

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Almost exactly the same thing happend to me couple years back:

1. Mount loosened (note to self: use red threadlock)
2. Engine vibrated
3. End cap came off (BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!)
4. chain loosened (normal for new chain)