spark plugs.......

GoldenMotor.com

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I've been following similar threads here regarding plugs.....and several of them proclaim that the stock plug included with the kit is a POS......well ...so far I've not had ANY problems.....removed it several times to check condition....it's always the * brown * color that everyone says is what is good....sooooo .....what are the benefits of other plugs ?.....I realize this might be a redundant thread but I still would appreciate a comprehensive response......THANKS !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az
The NGK bp6hs has a deeper protruding electrode that seems to run better in my motor than the stock. My motor seems to have a cleaner two stroke with more power than the stock, not only this but NGK is a good name brand that i have used in dirt bikes for years!!!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Keep a close eye on the outside electrode of the kit plugs. They seem to be very soft and easy to move. As soon as I noticed that I tossed it and went with an NGK B5HS. For a couple bucks it was well worth the peace of mind that the elctrode wasn't going to break off and knock a hole in the top of the piston.

John

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Most of the time, the stock plugs work fine... But it's a real crap-shoot.
When ever a bike starts running like $**t, I look at the chinese plug first!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have had china plugs that shot the porcelain like a bullet, and ones that have run a thousand miles with not a problem.

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
i was looking on one of the parts sites that sells different plugs, and some of them have a note in the description saying something like "best used under/over a certain temperature". do they really make that much of a difference when used in conditions that they are specified for?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. colder plugs in a colder environment will make your bike sluggish and bog, and hotter plugs in a hotter environment will make your bike run lean and kill it.

by going up or down one heat range won't affect it much, unless you're going for absolute tune-ability.

it comes down to what works for your particular engine, in it's environment.

i'd start with a NGK B6HS and if it works, stick with it. if you want, get a 5 and a 7 too, and play around with them.

and my suggestion to everybody, (which is still just my opinion) is to never even install the stock plug in the first place. like Joe says, some work, some don't. you don't want the one that "don't."

a 4 dollar investment could save your bike.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I owned and operated a lawn maintenance business for several years and always used in my 2 stroke handheld equipment ( weedeaters....edgers...trimmers...blowers ) the Champion CJ7Y plug.....am wondering if this might be applicable for use in our MB motors ?

Thanks,
Salty