SBP Expansion Exhaust Review.

GoldenMotor.com

theycallmebob

Dec 13, 2008
Gainesville, FL
This is preliminary as I am awaiting a new rear tire and CE clamshell sprocket adapter w/32 t sprocket. Then I'll tune everything properly. I have no other experience to compare this to but the smile it has put on my face makes it worth the money.

Power

This exhaust delivers performance beyond what you pay for it. I haven't tuned the carb yet, but it pulls so much harder on the lowend and runs really smoothly. It ran up to 33 and held it, even on small hills where it would typically fizzle down to 28 or so. Once the new sprocket is on I have no doubt it will have the power to pull up to 35 or so mph. If I am cruising at 20 or so and pull the throttle all the way back it the bike jerks forward with torque.

Installation

Installation is simple, even for a very intermediate mechanic. The instructions on the website are awesome. Basic tools are needed as well as a dremel with a cutting/sanding wheel. I had to trim about 3/4" off the adjustable pipe just for it to clear my front wheel. The copper exhaust gasket from CE/MM was included and made the deal that much sweeter and installation that much easier. Since I painted the pipe and was too impatient to wait for it to fully dry, the pipe from the header to the expansion chamber kept popping off, regardless of how hard I torqued the clamps. Once I stripped the paint from that area it held on.

Sound/Aesthetics

The tone is awesome. At idle it is a much lower/throaty idle. When crusing you have a nice pingy blap blap blap. Under acceleration I didnt notice much difference in sound than with the OEM muffler. WHen decelerating you get the occasional pingy backfire. Overall the sound it makes is great.

Aesthetically I like it. It works well with my mountain bike frame. I could see it looking out of place on the cruisers, and what not. I had to paint it black because the chrome was just too much.

Well thats it for now, I cant wait for my new tire so I can put some more miles on the bike. Great product at a great price! Get one if you are at all on the fence about it, you wont regret it.

PS - What size/type of fuel line are you all running? Where did you get it? What clamps are you using? It's time for me to replace mine and I'm having trouble finding the stuff I originally bought.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Thanks and nice job on the install. My only comment, and not really a big deal, is you could gain a little ground clearance by sweeping the pipe back a little more so it is more in line with the frames downtube. This would increase your ground clearance as well as create a little more space at the front tire. It would make your muffler point a little more in the upward direction. Would probably cause you to fab a different rear mount. Overall though these are just personal aesthetics and what I would do. Looks great and glad you are happy with the performance.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
PS - What size/type of fuel line are you all running? Where did you get it? What clamps are you using? It's time for me to replace mine and I'm having trouble finding the stuff I originally bought.

1/4" to the filter from the tank valve, 3/16" from the filter to the carb inlet.

Are those blue parts silicone tubing? I didn't know it would last so close to the exhaust port. No problems at all?
Hi temp (read expensive) silicone tubing is perfectly fine. Holds up to the heat and flame great. The worst thing you can do to it is use cheapo hose clamps a tear it. The upper ones are just for sealing.

skinnydog1_2007

Mar 12, 2009
melbourne australia
Oh boy that gets me excited "rub hands" Waiting for my new exhaust from SBP to get here. I bet the neighbours will be happy too have taken out the baffle on my standard china junk muffler super LOUD ha ha but plenty of get up an go varrrroom. Hope the new exhaust grunts the same as current set up or better "grin"

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Nice review.

Here's a pic of it on a cruiser, up swept "pic is low grade, used my web cam". I'm currently caught between aesthetics and performance. If I take about a 1/2' from the chrome part it would tuck under the bottom bracket better and it would likely be the same height as my front sprocket , currently I have 6" clearance on the pipe. I'm looking into putting a 45 or 90 on the back of the pipe so it doesn't shoot onto my saddle bags.

Truthfully I find the look to be fine on cruisers, although the sound does seem a bit off. I just don't expect the 2 stroke dirt bike sound coming from a cruiser and seems more fitting for a mtn. bike as they look more like a dirt bike. But I still love the tuned pipe, regardless.

mekano, they seem to hold up very well. You will smell them burning a little bit on the first few runs as they settle in, but after that they seem fine and seal very well.

Last edited:

Zippster

Oct 8, 2008
Austin Texas
For you guys who'd know this (you know who you are): How much of a difference does it make to add the extra muffler off SBP for the pipe in terms of noise level and tone? Does it really not affect performance?

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Well since there aren't that many out there yet I guess we are the only ones that know so here is my answer to your question. I do not use one of the extra mufflers but Pablo does. His bike is quieter than the stock exhaust and his bike is faster than mine with just the SBP tuned pipe. So yes it makes it much quieter and it apparently doesn't effect performance.

Ardilla_Loca

Mar 24, 2009
Orange County, CA
Well since there aren't that many out there yet I guess we are the only ones that know so here is my answer to your question. I do not use one of the extra mufflers but Pablo does. His bike is quieter than the stock exhaust and his bike is faster than mine with just the SBP tuned pipe. So yes it makes it much quieter and it apparently doesn't effect performance.
Any pics with the extra muffler on?