Anybody else running one?

GoldenMotor.com

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
After playing around with some exhaust configurations I've come to the conclusion, so far, that a straight pipe is gonna work best for me.
Is there anyone else that runs one and rides their bike every day? I know it is really loud, but it sounds so sweet and it gives me that low down torque I need to climb the hills around here.
I did build an expansion chamber that gave the motor a nice power band at the top end, about 8200 RPM, but I didn't know it would take away almost all of the low end power. It was the first proper expansion chamber I designed and built so it was a learning experience. Maybe one day I will try to build another one that moves the power band much lower.

I used 1" O.D. tubing from Tractor Supply.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
That has to be ear splitting loud. I can't imagine how many people you must piss off every day. I'm just sayin'...
I'm using a low cost off the shelf banana style expansion chamber (with silencer) and pieces of old handlebars for pipe. It took some hacking whacking and welding, but I tuned the pipe to that sweet spot. I'm just sayin'...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I made a megaphone pipe for a race bike. ripping up and down my neighborhood tuning the bike didn't make any of my neighbors happy, and it was by far the loudest bike at the travk.

I have a decible meter app on my phone that goes to 100db and it maxed it out. it would be illegal for motocross racing, which i think is 89db max, and it's illegal according to CA street bike laws.

I thought it was kinda cool though... :)

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
A properly constructed muffler will make little difference to your low down grunt.
I agree you must piss a few people off with that pipe.
My expansion chamber took away a lot of low down torque also, but...
As did my shorter inlet, and bigger carb.
Maybe a longer inlet tube and smaller carb if you want low down?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
This is what I'm running now........essentially a straight pipe with a 3/4" riding mower muffler with a steel pot scrubber stuffed in the end. Works great and isn't as loud as my expansion chamber. I had to drill some holes in the end of the muffler outlet to use a 'keeper wire' to prevent the pressure from spitting out the pot scrubber.

Good luck!!

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
I believe I'm gonna start designing another expansion chamber to help bring the noise down. It does sound awesome, but it's getting a little old. Also, I haven't seen any cops while riding around like this.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Think short and fat for low end, long and skinny for high rpm when building a pipe.
You can also tune where the power hits by changing the length of the headpipe (the bit from the port to the start of the cone)
And running without a muffler is very annoying to EVERYONE except you.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Think short and fat for low end, long and skinny for high rpm when building a pipe.
You can also tune where the power hits by changing the length of the headpipe (the bit from the port to the start of the cone)
And running without a muffler is very annoying to EVERYONE except you.
A longer header pipe is better for low end power, & a shorter one is better for high RPM power. ;)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yup. Like Norm says, the header is just the opposite of the chamber. Longer for low end, shorter for more high end power.
I meant the actual chamber shape.

pak39

Dec 5, 2013
San Marcos, Texas
So I've started to design a new expansion chamber using Dragonfly75's excel file. Has anyone else used his file? This will be my second time to use it to build a pipe and it can be a little tedious but I believe he did a good job setting up the file.