sprocket swap slowing down help

GoldenMotor.com

grayble

Mar 9, 2013
moreno valley
hey everyone so I recently changed my stock 44tooth sprocket to a 36 tooth sprocket so I can go faster but I'm going slower. With my 44 tooth sprocket I was going 30-35 mph with the new 36 tooth sprocket now I':-||m going 24 mph what's going on any ideas.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: slowing down help

Typical misconception that adding a smaller sprocket will make your bike faster. Your motor does not have the power to push you with a smaller sprocket. Some performance mods would probably get your speed up. Or switch back to the 44 or try a 40T sprocket.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

yep, you got to be pretty skinny to use a 36t, and then you'll have a bit of trouble with hills

aussiedan

Feb 23, 2013
australia

im skinny and my bike is great with the 36t even on hills but if my friend whos twice my weight rides my bike its a sluggish pig that wont go over 55kph. if i can feel the bike run out of gear and start to over rev I know its ok to go to a smaller rear sprocket

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

The 36T will get you more speed.. in the top-end, on flat ground. I use one myself (I'm also a skinny guy). It takes a little time to build up speed but you will get a higher top speed out of it. You'll definately have to work along with it on hill climbs.
The fewer the teeth, the more top speed you'll eventually get, but with more teeth you'll have better power and torque in the low to mid throttle.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

I'm not real light but not real heavy-
the 36 worked much better than the 44 or 41 and the 34 works even better-

a smaller sprocket does give you a higher top end except if you're heavy and on rather large climbs- and a much better cruise with less revs, noise and vibration

fat tires may detract from the advantage

you may have some other problem that occurred during the switch

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine

I weigh 150. I run a 40 on my steel frame Huffy with big worksman wheels. I would be better with a 44. Because my bikes a tank, I can eventually catch up with the lighter bikes running a 44. Torque trade-off for speed is not worth it.