57ChevyWagonMan's Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 23, 2012
East Palestine, Ohio, USA
I have not been here all that long but I am already moving in a positive direction with my bike build. I have selected my engine, wheels, hubs, and fork. I am planing to build my frame from scratch.

This is a cad drawing of what I am intending to build. I would like some input on the proportions and geometry of my frame.

Thanks!
Mike

wolf-jr

Feb 17, 2012
Culver City
That sketch looks great.. I really like the stance of the bike.

One thing I see that some board trackers have is a very low to the ground frame, and have the bottom tube (closest to the front wheel) welded at a 90 degree angle which worries me.. I would bend the tube if the frame will be low just to be safe when riding on the streets.. and also because I think it just looks clean.

I also like how the pedal cranks are behind the motor, I've figured it helps tons with clearance and worries of your feet getting in the motor's business..

Anyways... Great Job!!

Jul 23, 2012
Thanks Wolf-Jr! I have a little experience designing street rods. When you figure out how low to sling the suspension on a car there is this thing called the scrub line that needs to be considered. Basically the scrub line is a pane that passes through the bottom edge of the wheels. For safety nothing should hang below the scrub line. If anything did hang below the scrub line and you got a flat tire the chassis or body would strike the road and could flip the car causing a terrible crash! I simply applied this to the bike chassis. It makes sense to me.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
That’s a good design, you probably won’t have to fret about a wide pedal crank after all.

I like that it looks like you're going to use the original oil bath air filter...

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
What's the head tube angle for the steerer? It looks like you may have some wheel flop due to the low angle and large amount of fork rake. I assume you did this to get your trail value where it is.

Jul 23, 2012
The head tube is laid back at 35 degrees. I was hoping this would not be too severe. My trail is +2.2388", The bike is approximately 81" end to end and the crossbar is 27 1/8" off the ground. I am just a 1/4" shy of 6' tall. I am hoping I will not look like Magilla Gorilla on this thing.

Mike brnot

Jul 23, 2012
At this point I do intend to use the origonal filter. It has a good bit of classic detail. Plus it is functional. As far as the crank goes I will likely need to widen it some. I wear a size 13 shoe and my foot will be a bit forward of the pedal for sure. ;)

Mike brnot

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi Mike...WOW!!!!....you've got plenty to do....your design is very intresting...Hope you find time to start it..sometimes cutting some pipe and tacking it together..then hang it on the wall will spark the fire down the track .....DD

Jul 23, 2012
I understand. I also have a 57 Chevy wagon I am trying to finish for myself along with a luggage trailer for my t bucket and after those are all done a 1930 model a Ford 2dr sedan to rod out.

I was hoping to hit the power ball so I could retire to my shop, but no luck.

Mike